Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Last post was for no start, not running...crazy discussion and problem solving. Got it running. NOW

Here we go again,
So this time. Was running perfectly fine. Drove it without trailer since it was repaired. Attached my 5th wheel trailer to it to pull it back home from the last debacle I had. Was pulling great, zero issues...Then out of nowhere oil temperature slowly starts to climb. It hit 250 on my scan gauge. Engine started misfiring/knocking sounds...Running rough as could be. Pulled off to side of road, had my trailer and truck towed back to my house. Tried restarting it, starts after it sat for a bit, sound like a knock sound and running really really rough. No codes at all. IF I turn it off, doesn't restart for a bit again. The running rough and rod knock like sound is what is getting me here.

Thoughts on what the H**L I can even start looking at here.?

Thanks in advance...William.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transmission didn't budge. Coolant was at only 204...HOT day in texas lol I was thinking Oil cooler as well...But it is brand new as of all the last crap I/We just dealt with. Ford OEM. No egr cooler.

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,218 Posts
There is a chance that you have a water pump issue and not an oil cooler issue.

Unfortunately that isn't easy to distinguish.

Could you try a back flush on the oil cooler to see if you clear anything out?

I usually keep and re-use any coolant that I drain out, just remembering that I need a 50/50 mix when all the work is done.

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,218 Posts
Here is a good article:

·
Super Moderator
5,848 Posts
You said the engine has a knock now? It could be a wrist pin bushing, they are that type of material in first layer, it could also be a connecting rod bearing, or a turbo bushing/bearing failure. Not many other sources for copper in that engine. Sorry to hear about your continued trouble

I assume the exhaust smoke smells like fuel? Engine definitely doesn’t sound good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exhaust smells like rich diesel. Definently smoking alot. Alot of this "copper" substance in only the oil cooler, the valley for oil cooler. Nothing at all in injectors, oil feed or motor when cranked.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts