Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

here is my auto enginuity results (hard cold starts)

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jseasor 
#1 ·
truck runs fine and starts fine when it is warm out or the truck is warm. also starts easy when i have it plugged in if its under 40 degrees out. But if it is not plugged in and the motor is cold it takes a few times and long cranking to start. i could just keep plugging it in but i would rather get the thing right. i was thinking of having my injectors rebuilt? is that a bad idea?
here is a link to holderdown performance where you can have your injectors tested? they say they " test and reset pop off pressure and do some internal modifications to the injector to increase fuel flow."

Warren Diesel Stock Injectors

it seems like that would be worth a shot. i don't plan on doing this work so what should i expect to pay to get this done. (change all the injectors)

well here is what that scan told me. what would you do? i tried revx and it did not clean them out or get any better on the cold starts.

what numbers should i be looking at and watching when i get hooked back up to the computer? thanks for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like symptoms of a leak in the high pressure oil system...eventually it will probably get to where it wont start at all. either one of the dummy plugs, stand pipes, or the STC fitting that is near the HPOP would be my guess. these can sometimes be a PITA to locate....or you could just need a set of injectors, if you can do a powerbalance test do that and see how the injectors respond once you get it started

#3 ·
id get a scangauge2 first so u can monitor the hp oil pressure when cranking. it needs to be 500 psi to fire the injectors. if not, no start. only oil OEM fuel and oil filters. that could also be the problem. it could be a blown injectors o ring. but usually, its the stc fitting which is very common, the stand pipes or dummy plugs. it could also be the icp sensor or the ipr valve.

also, check the ficm voltage. it should never get below 46v. use a voltmeter and put the red on the rightmost screw and black on the negative battery post and test it with the engine off key on, while cranking, and at idle.

it could also be injector stiction, but i doubt it. if those things dnt work, then it might be stiction which can be cured by rev-x and 5w-40 synthetic oil.

BTW, i recommend u switching to 5w-40 synthetic. ur truck will love it.

#4 ·
AE does way more than the SG.

If it were a HP oil system problem, I would suspect the symptoms to be reversed. Okay cold starts and hard or no hot starts.

Given your codes and symptoms, I agree you have injector issues. To be sure, run a power balance test with AE.

#5 ·
QUOTE=dieselmac;1733771]AE does way more than the SG.

If it were a HP oil system problem, I would suspect the symptoms to be reversed. Okay cold starts and hard or no hot starts.

Given your codes and symptoms, I agree you have injector issues. To be sure, run a power balance test with AE.[/QUOTE]

^^^This, and do it when it's cold so it will be more prevelant. otherwise if you try to do it when it's warm it will be masked.

#6 ·
Yep. Forgot to mention that.

Also, check your FICM voltages. Main, logic and power. Main should always be above 45volts (KOEO, cranking and running). Logic and power should be approximately the same as battery voltage (B+).

#7 ·
Mine did the exact same thing. start fine on warm days, ran great. cold mornings, nothing..unless i plugged it in..fired up. did a test on the FICM. it was bad, dropped to 24V on crank. got it rebuilt, running good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.