Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a lil off topic but im going on a 6 month deployment and Im going to be storing my truck in a portable garage. Just wondering what you guys think I should do before I store it. Mind you I live in Upper Michigan, and the truck will have to be brought to a local shop everyother month for some work. I just want to prevent rust and keep animals out. So far I have:

Wash & Wax
Tire Conditioner
WD-40 to spray on rims and rockers
Battery Tender
Moth Balls for in the Garage
Tarp to park on

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know I should also have a full tank of diesel. What kind of additives can/should I add to the fuel to not gel, freeze and not cause the fuel to go bad.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Trickle charger for the batteries if possible

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Make sure you add a fuel stabilizer as diesel, unlike gasoline, can have things start growing in it. Do an oil change just before you store it. The tarp needs to be breathable so it does not trap moisture against the paint. Personally I would also put it up on jacks also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Make sure you add a fuel stabilizer as diesel, unlike gasoline, can have things start growing in it. Do an oil change just before you store it. The tarp needs to be breathable so it does not trap moisture against the paint. Personally I would also put it up on jacks also.
I think hes just using the tarp to park on it...jacks is a good idea..

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
I think hes just using the tarp to park on it...jacks is a good idea..
LOL Yes "ON" I missed that. I would cover the truck with a tarp plus put a wood block under each wiper to get them off the windshield.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would use jacks, but it would be too much of a hassle for my gf to take the truck down everytime she takes it out and vice versa. I will have the wipers off the windshield, and will be using Power Service diesel additive for the duration on the storage. I shouldnt have to worry about much moisture due to it being below freezing most of the time, and during the day I can just have someone open the doors if need be. I just ordered this spray, its a "wax" rust prevention spray. Prob coat the whole underbody with that.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Well if your gf is driving it every once in a while I wouldn't worry about it at all, as long it gets up to full operating temperature.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Every other month it has to go 5 miles down to road, other than than she would just be opening the doors and letting it run.... Anything she can do to maybe wipe the salt off when she gets back, say some warm water and a rag?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just have her wash it..just using water and a rag might scratch..just my 2 cents..man Im lucky I dont have to deal with all that snow/ice/salt crap.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
put some bags of oil dry or kitty litter in there to attract the moisture away fromt the truck......

·
No 6.0
625 Posts
6 months, it'll be covered, and driven at least once a month?? C'mon, you'll be fine. There's no need to do anything here.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I am a little crazy, but I cant be too carefull when I have 5K in upgrades plus the sticker price involved....(gf just saw me type that and yells "carefull huh? you weren't too carefull when you left black marks down the road and woke the neighbors at 6am") I appreciate all the info guys.

BWILLIS2003: YOUR LUCKY! even in the summer I have a hard time keeping my truck clean, and the paint looking nice. This is the worst part of the country for a new vehicle, roads suck, rocks seem to find YOUR vehicle everyday, and salt makes your truck look 10 years older than it actually is!

·
zfsix4our
296 Posts
No salt on the roads is a wet dream for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts