Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 F350 in my shop this morning that has a P215B vehicle speed sensor/outputshaft speed sensor correlation trouble code. I need some information and dianostic flow chart on what causes this code to set.

The back ground on this truck is the transmission has been replaced with a unit from another wrecked truck. I am suspecting that this is the wrong transmission for the truck. It may fit physically but something is different electronically to set this code. Maybe some type of ratio difference ?

Any help is appreciated ! Thank you !

·
Registered
380 Posts
All I can find on it is that it's a generic code: Vehicle Speed - Output Shaft Speed Correlation

Some transmissions have 2 sped sensors, input and output, some have only an output and the ECU/PCM/TCM uses information from the engine to calculate input speed. Either way the Input Speed Sensor (if present) provides information on how fast the input shaft is rotating. As the teeth of the input clutch hub pass by the sensor coil, an AC voltage is generated and sent to the TCM. The TCM interprets this information as input shaft rpm.

The Output Speed Sensor generates an AC signal in a similar fashion, though its coil is excited by rotation of the rear planetary carrier lugs (generally). The TCM interprets this information as output shaft rpm.

The TCM compares the input and output speed signals to determine the following:

Transmission gear ratio
Speed ratio error detection
CVI calculation

The TCM also compares the input speed signal and the engine speed signal to determine the following:

Torque converter clutch slippage
Torque converter element speed ratio

It sounds like the tranny your customer put in was geared differently than the one that came out. I'm not sure if the truck can be reprogrammed to jive with the new gearing, if the sensors can simply be replaced, or what the solution is. I've never run into this issue with a replacement transmission. I've only had these sensors get metal shavings and go haywire, or simply fail.

You could try pulling the sensors and looking for a part#, and comparing that to the number the truck actually calls for? It's a starting point.

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
what happened with this? Mine is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same problem have a 08 f250 6.4 put a used transmission in and when I put it in drive it's like it's in a higher gear than 1st rpms are rising but bearly moves and it won't shift reverse works fine any help would be grateful thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have the same problem with my 6.4 just put a used transmission in and when you put it in gear the rpms rise but it's like it's in a higher gear than 1st and it won't shift reverse works fine any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem have a 08 f250 6.4 put a used transmission in and when I put it in drive it's like it's in a higher gear than 1st rpms are rising but bearly moves and it won't shift reverse works fine any help would be grateful thanks
Did you found the problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts