Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
No-Bama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finishing the front end rebuild on my 96. Im using xrf ball joints and followed torque sequence from the ford service manual. After install I can barely turn the knuckle back and forth. I mean its really tight. I cant find torque specs for the xrfs but I imagine they should all be the same. Is this normal? Ive done quite a few ball joint installs on other vehicles and never had this happen.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ive done lots of ball joints too and some are just a bit tighter than othere grease it and drive it as far as torque specs the oem ford specs are good enough ive had lots of ball joints be tight when i put them in and all turned out fine

·
No-Bama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also I just noticed that the camber adjusting sleeve is not all the way seated down in the knuckle like it was before. Any ideas

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts

·
No-Bama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was so tight I was struggling the move the knuckle side to side(im no weakling)they were pre greased but I added a little more. I took everything apart and did it again and its a little better but the sleeve is still up about 1/4" from where it should be. I had to use a jack to jack up the knuckle against the the axle arm because the nut that came with the lower bj was staked in 4 spots(not sure why) so I need to put pressure against it to tighten the nut. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. BJ's were installed with bj press with the correct cups so dont think thats the issue. Im gonna do the other side and see what happens. thanks for the help

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
Put 100 miles on them and check them again. I am sure they will loosen up

·
No-Bama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other side is the same thing. very tight and popped the bushing up 1/4". Logic tells me there should be no issues with this so Im gonna go with it and see what happens. The only thing I can figure on the bushing is the stud on the new joint is just a bit fatter and when I do the initial 35lb torque on the bottom stud its pushing it up. we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sounds like the wrong joints to me. If its pushing the top caster sleeve out, maybe the top ball joint is the wrong joint?

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
I had to use a jack to jack up the knuckle against the the axle arm because the nut that came with the lower bj was staked in 4 spots(not sure why) so I need to put pressure against it to tighten the nut. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.
thats normal since the nut doesn't have a exterior retention method like a cotter pin it is slightly distorted and locks itself in place the marks are identifiers so when u chuck some in your assorted nut and bolt pile you can see why it's a pain to tighten when you accidentally use it somewhere else LOL

doing what you did to tighten it is normal procedure

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
On my 97 when I did them, parts from orreily(maybe that was the problem), but one brand wouldn't fit and one would.....both for the same truck per their book...I measured the old ones and the one set was larger.

·
No-Bama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok everything seems fine with the ball joints now. I finally buttoned everything up after almost 3 months of working on the truck and when I dropped the truck down, both wheels have about 30 degrees of positive camber. anyone have any ideas before I set the truck on fire and push it down the hill

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,867 Posts
Ok everything seems fine with the ball joints now. I finally buttoned everything up after almost 3 months of working on the truck and when I dropped the truck down, both wheels have about 30 degrees of positive camber. anyone have any ideas before I set the truck on fire and push it down the hill
maybe a dumb-butt question, but, did you let it roll forward a few feet to let it the tires sit in/out?

just trying to help lol

·
No-Bama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took it up and down the driveway a few times. The left side seemed to improve but right is still really bad. Im not a suspension guru but I don't see how top of that wheel is gonna come in 2 inches. Theres no way the camber bushing is gonna do it right? I never even moved the right side bushing.

·
No-Bama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its 4x4 ttb yea its sitting up a bit but ive noticed from looking at bunch of pics on the net it seems to be the case with many other people. Also I didn't just replace ball joints, that was the initial repair but quickly escalated as you can see below.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts