Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i had an injector come unseated, is there anyway i can tell which one did by using my AE software. The motor seems to be out of balance and is running very poorly. Thanks for any input

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention, when I start the truck it takes forever....it spins and fires and smokes but wont quite take off, i have to keep cranking for 2-3 minutes before it will run on its own without assistance from the starter.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did an injector buzz test and it came back with 3 codes: P1277-cylinder #7 high to low side open, P1275- #5 cylinder high to low side open, P1298-Injector drive module failure. What does this mean and how do i fix it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
sounds like water got in the IDM. I would remove IDM and shake it around and listen for water noise or just swap it with another IDM from buddy just to test

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Possibly.... I just got done doing a search and it seems i may have a harness issue, possibly bad injectors. From what i understand the IDM kinda goes into a limp mode to protect itself. It would make sence....i just rebuilt the motor and put it back in the truck so i have just recently messed with the plugs on the harness....been running crappy ever since I installed the motor. I'm a little concerned i screwed up the injectors tho because I blew my motor up and my water and oil mixed and ran through my hpop and injectors for about 5 miles. I was pissed when it blew up so i just drove it until it wouldnt drive anymore. Turns out that mabey wasnt such a good idea LOL.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
X3 You may want to chase the IDM possiblity first. Its very easy to change and it could also throw the individual inj codes. If its not the IDM, swap harnesses back to front on the left pass bank to see if you can make the inj issues move.

To save a VC removal, you could also pin out the UVC harnesses to see if you have continuity. If you can pick up about 3.2 ohms through the wires on 5&7 inj , you're good on the harnesses. 3.2 was typical on any good solenoid ive ever checked.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crap....ok, of all the spare parts I have I dont have a spare idm. On swapping the uvch around wont that just make the #5 plug turn into the #7 plug and the #7 plug turn into the #5 plug? I'll check ohms and get back to you, thanks

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
no, turn the 5&7 to the 1&3...

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I ohm'd out the the harness and came up with 2.6-2.8 on all four injectors on pass side.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
if you ohm'd the injectors thru the UVC harnesses, all seems fine there for now. Did you find an IDM to try?

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, i'm trying to find the number to a guy that i sold a wrecked truck to though. He came and loaded it up one day when i was gone and the only things left in the truck that i didnt get around to removing were the pcm and idm:doh:

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok got an IDM and tried that, no change except i dont get the IDM failure code when I did the buzz test this time. I read that a modded IDM will throw that code tho. What do I try next, I have AE so what should I be using it to look for, what do I try next? I gotta get my truck running soon the roads are getting slick here now and that truck is my only 4x4 to get to work. Thanks for everyones input so far

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
so, it still runs bad? Even though it didnt show IDM, did it throw the 5&7 again? Yes, a modded IDM will throw an IDM code. The IDM seems fine.

Has the motor run for awhile since you installed it? in other words, is the rail air out? If 2 injs are pissed, it def wont run good--it would be good to use the AE to confirm if the hpo system is ok, but the air needs to be out.

If it runs to bad to keep running, and water did go through the injectors, you may want to have the injs bench tested. You need to know what works right first and keep eliminating stuff....

Sorry man--

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it has ran for quite awhile, the funny thing is, it ran good for the first two or three hours i had it running. I was going down the road and all of a sudden it just started running like crap. I'm pretty new to AE how, do I use it to check the hpo system, I am certian all the air is out of the system. Ya its no biggie to me to send the injectors in and have them checked out but I'd like to check to see if theres another issue before I go to all the work of pulling injectors.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
What were you doing when it started running bad? Since it is 5&7, make sure the harness plug isn't acting up. You could do that while its idling and just jiggle the wire/plug. Hell, just disconnect it while its running to see if anything changes.

Use the AE to datalog the HPOP pressure and pump duty cycle. The DC% is the time that the pump is running to build the commanded pressure. The lower this number at a given pressure, the more efficient/capable the pump is.

You should be able to put both of those parameters up on the dashboard (on the laptop) to monitor, plus you can record the data. Assuming inj orings are good, I'd look to see that you have good HPO at idle (mine runs at 700psi @ 12%) and that it also delivers the HPO as commanded thru the rpm and load changes. On my truck in a more aggressive tune, Tonys tunes command up to about 3100psi and my pump will deliver that at about 42%. The DD tune tops out at [email protected] 37%.

Once the oil is hot (over 165F), you can also run the CCT to see if it can isolate an injector/cylinder with issues. While running at idle, one at a time, AE it will take an inj down to see if the cyl/inj is contributing. Its a cool test.

If the CCT shows a bad inj and you decide to pull them, be sure to mark it for comparison when the bench test is done.

Lastly, if you do pull the injs, you may want to run a compression test just to check your work on the rebuild.

I just thought of something else-- if 5&7 show up on CCT and its not the harness, pull the solenoids and confirm that the armature (the square plate) didn't get real loose under the poppet valve screw.

All of this and $2.00 will get you starbucks... good luck!

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well hell....all I need now is two bucks and im golden LOL. Well I guess I'll head back out to my truck and do some scanning. Hey mandkole, thanks for sticking with me tru this.....its much appreciated. I talked to jim rosewood and decided if I cant get anything figured out I'll be sending him my injectors. He was pretty concerned some damage may have occured to the poppet from lack of lubrication. When I get some results I will be sure to give an update. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
hopefully you have a warm shop to work in... its the only way I'd get thru life with my old rig. Especially if I lived in MT. lol

On another note, we used a local PSN'ers AE a few years ago on my truck a few times. Since then, I got the Scangauge and never looked back. I think its been the best money I've ever spent on this truck... ICP and DC% run on the gauge full time. The good thing about it is that you see those numbers so much that, regardless what they are, you know when its NOT normal.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I'm back with more results. Scanned truck again and did some data logging, I'll see if I can figure out how to post it up here in a it. I did a cylinder contribution test again and this time it came back with P0266,P0269,P0281. It says Injector circuit contribution/balance fault on cylinder 2,3 and 7. Did another buzz test and it still comes back with injector 5 and 7 low to hi side open.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heres my data log from the truck. First column is voltage next coulmn is psi and third column is % duty cylce. I logged from idling in my driveway to down the hiway a couple miles and back again. The weird this is, it seems to have ran better today, still not rite but definatly better.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts