Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SD NEWB
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all need a lil help. A new noise has developed in my truck. It starts at about 65mph. Its a low tone and you can also feel a small bit of vibration. While cruising down the highway I put in Neutral and the sound persisted till it dropped below 65. If I had to pick a side where it was coming from Id say driver side front but I havent been anywhere else in the trucks since the noise has started. The truck is a 03 7.3 4x4 all stock. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Davey B
930 Posts
I would slide under there and check all the u-joints for any looseness.
:whs: Also, if its got a two peice driveshaft check the carrier bearing.

·
SD NEWB
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should I be checking the stub shafts at the axles too? I checked the drivelines the other day when I was turning my rotors, they seemed tight but I may have checked them incorrectly.

It does have a 2 piece. what am I looking for in defects?

·
Davey B
930 Posts
It wouldnt hurt to check your axle shaft u-joints. Where the driveshaft goes through the carrier bearing, it should be tight. If it has slop, replace it. Another thing that can cause vibrations is tires.

·
They call me Nobody
258 Posts
Check to see if one of the hubs is hanging in the locked position.

·
SD NEWB
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the hubs arent the problem. though They take some coxing to fully release, warn hubs they are not. I did do a tire rotation when I turned the rotors, perhaps I should balance them. I havent checked the u joints yet or the carrier bearing, I will get that knocked tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts