Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
1995 7.3 diesel. Today it was difficult to start in the AM. In the afternoon it starting stuttering and stalling. It would start right up after and drive for a while and then do it again. I got it home and changed the CPS and it wouldn't start at all. Changed the fuel filter and still no luck. It just cranks and cranks. I few times it sounded like it would turn over but no luck.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric
I would think the IPR, unless you got a bad CPS sensor which happens

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks guys. That PCED sounds like what I need. Maybe I'll dive into that after this repair. Had it been anything else on the truck, I would have felt confident - brakes, electrical, differential, suspension .... the first issue had to be a problem with the diesel engine. Tow truck is coming tomorrow. I'm just going to keep thinking of the guy here who said he spent thousands on parts before taking it to the shop!

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is a page where you can dl the Ford service disks, which include the PCED & EVTM. Instructions on installation & use are in the captions of this photo album:

(phone app link)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK, it was the CPS sensor. Apparently the new one I got was bad (made by Standard). Been working on gas engines for years and the odds of replacing a part with a new part that is defective out of the box has been slim to none. But I guess with parts getting cheaper and cheaper and foreign made parts, that possibility is getting higher. That was the first part I replaced and the first thing everyone here recommended to replace. Soo, $300 tow, I'm not sure what the shop will charge, all because a $25 part made it to the shelf that was defective. $%#@% That pisses me off. I even had a second CPS on order since that is a pretty common issue. I was going to swap it out again before the tow but thought, "How often do I get a defective part from the auto store".

Anyways, for everyone reading this with the same issue, try a second (or even third) CPS before calling the tow truck. And maybe don't shop at O'Reillys!

Thanks to you guys for all the help. I really appreciate it. You were all right.

Eric M.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up. Many of us try to stay with OEM (if possible) for sensors on these trucks. Glad you got it fixed! Cheers!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Riff Raff diesel has decent prices..

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
There are a number of suppliers that deal with OEM sensors.

But even if you go to the dealer the price isn't as bad as it was back when these engines were new and they wanted over $100 for a CPS.

I went to the International dealer and picked one up for $80 around 22 years ago.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
I'll need to remember that. Ask for OEM parts.

Thanks,
At least where sensors are concerned

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ask for OEM parts.
Careful with that - "OEM" is a popular brand name, and there ARE aftermarket parts marketed under that brand & logo.
Amazon.com: Recochem OEM 86-314BOEME Blue Premium Antifreeze Concentrate Extended Life - Euro I BLUE, 1 gallon, 1 Pack: Automotive
Amazon.com: OEM TOOLS 1200 CFM 24878 Portable Mechanic's Blower Fan-1200: Automotive

In common usage, it means "Original Equipment MANUFACTURER", which applies to any company (not PART) that has ever made parts for an assembly line. The OEM for many late-model airbags is Takata, so every part Takata makes from now on (be that airbags, light bulbs, seat belts, or plastic pushpins) can be called an "OEM" part because Takata IS an "OEM" (a manufacturer of OE/assembly-line parts) whether or not each of those PARTS was ever sold to an assembly line. But you certainly don't want to buy a Takata airbag, and you may not want any of their other parts, or other parts made by companies that supplied parts to Ford. Because those companies might have made bad parts, or Ford might have switched production to another company for whatever reason. Also, there can be several OEMs for one part.

What you really want is FORD- or MOTORCRAFT-branded parts. Those are the ones that Ford currently specifies as replacements, with any design, materials, or manufacturing improvements that they've come up with in the past ~23 years.

OE (Original Equipment) means the parts that were installed on the assembly line, which are not available anywhere other than junkyards.

The way I find the best Ford/MC parts is to start at FordParts, TascaParts, &/or RockAuto to get the Ford/MC PNs. Then I shop those on Amazon, ebay, etc., looking for other versions & superseded PNs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Damn .... remember the good ol' days when you could walk into your local auto parts store, grab a part and not have to worry if it actually worked or not?
For you young guys, that was long before the internet. 😊

21 - 32 of 32 Posts