Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 f250 and always kept up with maintenance...truck always ran and started like a champ..no tunes and no crazy towing...all of a sudden about a week ago it was having a hard time starting and would stutter if i hammered it...ran and idled fine though...yesterday it wouldnt start at all and i had to get it towed home...ive never worked on a diesel so i have no idea where to begin

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd start buy doin a test on the ficm. I'm still learning myself, but it's an easy check and likely with our 6.0s. Here's a way to check it.
Mines out right now for repairs and wouldn't start on cold mornings. I didn't have a shutter problem but there's many syptoms. I'm sure there's some other knowledgeable people that will come along and help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wherer do i even begin with the hpo...im a master at gas engines but when it comes to diesel im lost

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Look at the oil pressure gauge, does it rise when your cranking ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i ended up taking it to the dealer and indeed it was the ficm..they replaced it and i had it back by the end of the day..the truck ran like a beast...the next day i drove it out of town and back for work..i did about 600 miles round trip..on the highway i noticed if i went over 65 and kept the pedal steady at any speed that it would kinda jerk here and there there almost as if i was hitting cracks on the road..if i let off the gas it was smooth as hell...but when i kept it steady at 75 it was non stop...recently it started sputtering again if i hammer on it..what the heck is wrong with this thing..?

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
STC fitting... I've had them where your taking off WOT and it goes to shift and when it does the engine bogs and dies and never starts again.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
do a wide open throttle blast, I bet it dies..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my biggest problem is that im out of the 5yr/100k warranty so everything that i have to fix is out of pocket

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
yeap... where are you located?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya tell me about it..i guess ill have to take it back to the dealer and throw more money away on a diagnostic

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Do you know what your fuel pressure is? Also your freeway problem mimics stuck turbo vanes. Just guesses from this side. Test,verify,repair.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,329 Posts
A scangaugeII can help you diagnose a lot of issues. It is $150 or so.

With it, I would look at the ICP reading and IPR duty cycle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts