Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pick up a 3 horse slant tonight, truck ran great as per normal, knocking down 18 mpg at 75mph. Get to KC hook up to the trailer and start home, truck is pulling good up to 70mph then hits a wall, pushing harder on the pedal and nothing. I stop and play around with the TS settings which only work for shift points on mine and nothing. There is a head wind and I was going up hill and it is a tall trailer but my truck usally does this easily. So I set the cruise at 70. after a few minutes I start hitting the set button to see if it increases. 1 bump - 1mph, 2 bumps - 2more mph. So I hit it like 10 time real fast, turbo screeches to life and I'm going uphill flying around cars passing 80mph! :eek: WTF!!!! could my pedal cause this or is it the PCM??

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
whats your fuel filter look like? and the fpr screen?

mine did that once........ acted like the same way, hit the pedal and nothing happened.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cruise would go where the pedal wouldn't.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm thats odd

I wish I knew the answered........ has it done it since then?
This was just last night, the truck is still hooked to the trailer. It wasn't a lack of power or anything, it was accelerating to 70mph in the space of an onramp just ranout at 70 going uphill in the wind. When I used the cruise it would go as fast I wanted. :confused:

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
Try fuel filters. you might have trash. filters are weird, they might do it one way this time and different the next. I say fuel filter. will it rev up in park or neutral? if it won't, filters

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
Try fuel filters. you might have trash. filters are weird, they might do it one way this time and different the next. I say fuel filter. will it rev up in park or neutral? if it won't, filters
He just said that the truck accelerated up to 70 with no problem.

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
This was just last night, the truck is still hooked to the trailer. It wasn't a lack of power or anything, it was accelerating to 70mph in the space of an onramp just ranout at 70 going uphill in the wind. When I used the cruise it would go as fast I wanted. :confused:
I would think that if it was related to your pedal you would be able to pin that down easily. As you were accelerating continually increase the pedal and see if it gets to the point that it makes not change.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think that if it was related to your pedal you would be able to pin that down easily. As you were accelerating continually increase the pedal and see if it gets to the point that it makes not change.
Thats the way it happened, like I'm driving at 1/2 pedal (which was the 1st thing I noticed) at 75mph then hit a hill with about 3% grade 20mph headwind 8ft tall x 6ft wide gooseneck drops to 70 and go to 3/4 pedal still at 70 foot on the floor still 70. Pull over mess with tuning knob, next hill no diff. Turn back to factory stock setting, no change. Next hill set the cruise at 70 because it just seems weird to be shoving my foot through the floor, then use accel/set button and the truck comes to life. Like the speed control in the pedal has bunk but the speed override in the PCM is working with the cruise. I'm getting ready to haul some stuff in the trailer to or new place, will see whats up today.

·
Registered
480 Posts
hmmmm this sorta falls into the same problem i have.. I thought it was just due to my big feet and the way i rest them on the peddal... Usually i rest my foot at the top of the peddal and the truck has the same symptoms seems like no matter how hard i push it only goes so fast... But if i move my foot down so the tip of my foot is mid peddal it goes like a raped ape... I always thought it was just a screwy peddal design but now im wondering.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove good today but I didnt have the hills I had last night. Can the pedal wearout? the electronics I mean, can they be adjusted out?

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
the pedal should read a certin amount of volts at idle and I believe should increase as you increase % of pressure onto the peddel

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the pedal should read a certin amount of volts at idle and I believe should increase as you increase % of pressure onto the peddel
Right, like an old rc car trigger. The farther up the coil the hotter it gets due to least resistance. I beat the hell out of my trucks and have muddy wet feet most of the time. If the windings corroded they could add resistance... correct? That would explain why the cruise could add speed while the pedal ran out... correct?

Damn! how much is a pedal? :doh:

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just went for a ride, my 13yr old daughter is in the learning process, as I'm sitting in the pass seat I notice the pedal is an inch off the floor when the truck finally moves. That can't be right can it? the truck is running as good as it ever has. Can the pedal get bent?

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
mine sits that low too...... like zrock had said sometime I had place my foot wrong on the peddle and it would only go so far

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to mess w/it a little see if I can get some more travel out it.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Maybe your Throttle Position Sensor has gone bad. Dorman makes a replacement sensor for about $70 but quality control is a little iffy. The only other alternative if the pedal is bad is buying the replacement complete pedal assembly from ford for about $350-400. Or a junkyard.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe your Throttle Position Sensor has gone bad. Dorman makes a replacement sensor for about $70 but quality control is a little iffy. The only other alternative if the pedal is bad is buying the replacement complete pedal assembly from ford for about $350-400. Or a junkyard.
Doesnt the Cruise use the TPS? It has more throttle in cruise than pedal.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts