Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to removing my old Edge/Juice combo and installing my PHP Hydra and now it only starts in position "00" which is bypass.

It also difficult to start while in the bypass position.

In any of the other positions that I have tunes loaded, it just wont start. And if I get the truck started in the bypass mode and switch over to any of the other tunes, the truck just dies.

Now I am just sad and I cant get back to the truck until Monday, too much other stuff to do.

1. Any suggestions on where to start?
  2. Also, Is there any specific procedure on switching tunes? Am I supposed to be able to just change them with the engine running?
There's not a lot of instructions other than their YouTube video.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Did you remove the pcm to clean the port? Even if you did chances are you didnt get it clean enough.

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes

I did clean the connection

With a bad connection would it start in bypass?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wrong tunes loaded on the other positions....wrong hex code?

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wrong tunes loaded on the other positions....wrong hex code?
The first thing that I am going to do is pull the PCM and check the Hex code

If I do have the correct hex code and set of tunes; what should I check next?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not to criticize but prepping the connection may be the best thing to do.

You should be able to read the strategy thru the hydra and hydra flash software

Power-Struck dot com

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to criticize but prepping the connection may be the best thing to do.
I am going to start all over, including cleaning the connection

You should be able to read the strategy thru the hydra and hydra flash software
What do you mean by reading the strategy?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Clean the connections again install the PCM/ hydra with the cable installed. Plug the cable into your computer.
Open hydra flash software.
access the menu at the top of the screen. Under hydra chip click on read ecu memory. Or simply press ctrl+r.
this should read the actual flash memory of your computer and is more valuable information than what the sticker because the PCM has more than likely been updated by a Ford dealer in the past

Power-Struck dot com

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Do not over clean the connection..if you rrmove it down to the copper that is just as bad as not cleaning it.
it will then have to be re tinned.

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I will start over from the beginning, hopefully it wont take too long.

One more question:
  • Is there a certain procedure for changing tunes? Key on, motor not running? or is it switch on the fly capable?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Switch on the fly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you unplug the Hydra and the truck starts and runs good then it is either, 1. loaded the wrong tunes or 2. did not clean all the silicon off the terminals. I just did mine yesterday, I scrubbed them with the pad they provided and then (although not recommended) I then used a small flat head screw driver and lightly scraped the stuff off the terminals. Mine works great.
Just dont scrub or scrape the silver off the terminals.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks guys, I will start over from the beginning, hopefully it wont take too long.

One more question:
  • Is there a certain procedure for changing tunes? Key on, motor not running? or is it switch on the fly capable?
When changing the tunes or messing with the PCM leave the keys in the house, a real quick way too destroy your PCM is have the key in the ignition while loading tunes. When you have the tunes loaded it's a switch on the fly, I'm no expert but are you sure your getting the chip out of the bypass mode?? Jay explained it too me when he installed my chip but I'm electronic stupid and don't remember how too get it out of the bypass, so for me I stay away from the "00"

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
It's switch on the fly after you get it out of 00

To do this start the truck with the chip in 00. Change the tune with the truck running to 01 turn truck off. Restart truck with tune still in 01 and you can now change tunes. Same procedure to get it back into 00 and same for no start mode. I'm gonna have to do a YouTube video of it soon just to make life easier. Maybe tomorrow after class if it isn't canceled. Or while messing around in the snow.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I informed Jay at PHP with your issue, he will get ya squared up.

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's switch on the fly after you get it out of 00

To do this start the truck with the chip in 00. Change the tune with the truck running to 01 turn truck off. Restart truck with tune still in 01 and you can now change tunes. Same procedure to get it back into 00 and same for no start mode. I'm gonna have to do a YouTube video of it soon just to make life easier. Maybe tomorrow after class if it isn't canceled. Or while messing around in the snow.
I haven't had time to get back to the truck/chip problem (as I just opened a new shop for my construction/engineering business) but when the truck was in "00" bypass, it was hard to start.

When it did start in "00", I was able to switch to position #1,2,6 etc (the positions that I had previously loaded the tunes on) and the truck would just die.

Hopefully I can get to it later today or tomorrow.

·
Potato Nation Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, after starting over, re-cleaning the connector, I ended up reloading the same tunes that I had already previously loaded.

Runs great now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts