Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 6.0 with 76k miles new ficm about 4k miles ago. truck has a sct with performance tune loaded and an edge insight for monitoring. The issue that i have is that after a short wide open throttle run (approximately 5 seconds or so) the truck will not build boost for awhile. During the WOT the truck averages about 21 or 22 psi of boost which seems low to me. The truck made around 26 according to the stock gauge when it was on a stock tune. During this time of no boost if i press the skinny peddle to the floor it will lag extremely for awhile (dumping black smoke) then spool up and pull hard. During everyday driving situations the truck runs great, starts and idles great. its only at WOT that i experience this issue. also my insight is showing that if i am climbing this one mountain around home (western nc) the ECT EOT temperature difference sometimes will get slightly over 15 degrees difference. After crossing the top of the mountain while the truck is cooling back off the difference will slightly grow. i think i say a difference of nearly 20 degrees today while cooling. So im also thinking i may have a bad oil cooler but i dont believe this would relate to my boost issue.
I experienced this boost problem one time before the truck was tuned after a wot run so it was there before the tune but i believe its worse now. Im thinking possibly stuck vanes or vgt solenoid, cracked hose, egr, ?? idk..I have searched for this condition but never found a low/no boost after wot throttle problem

Also i was just thinking that when i first got the truck (during my time of complete 6.0 ignorance) I wired up a smoke switch. since the truck had a stock tune on it at the time it didnt smoke at all and i hated the idea of turning the turbo vanes on and off so i immediately took all of it off that evening and repaired the vgt wire with a crimp on but connector. Could this connection possibly draw to much amperage and overheat or something possibly?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
bring the chain
1,345 Posts
I have a 2005 6.0 with 76k miles new ficm about 4k miles ago. truck has a sct with performance tune loaded and an edge insight for monitoring. The issue that i have is that after a short wide open throttle run (approximately 5 seconds or so) the truck will not build boost for awhile. During the WOT the truck averages about 21 or 22 psi of boost which seems low to me. The truck made around 26 according to the stock gauge when it was on a stock tune. During this time of no boost if i press the skinny peddle to the floor it will lag extremely for awhile (dumping black smoke) then spool up and pull hard. During everyday driving situations the truck runs great, starts and idles great. its only at WOT that i experience this issue. also my insight is showing that if i am climbing this one mountain around home (western nc) the ECT EOT temperature difference sometimes will get slightly over 15 degrees difference. After crossing the top of the mountain while the truck is cooling back off the difference will slightly grow. i think i say a difference of nearly 20 degrees today while cooling. So im also thinking i may have a bad oil cooler but i dont believe this would relate to my boost issue.
I experienced this boost problem one time before the truck was tuned after a wot run so it was there before the tune but i believe its worse now. Im thinking possibly stuck vanes or vgt solenoid, cracked hose, egr, ?? idk..I have searched for this condition but never found a low/no boost after wot throttle problem

Also i was just thinking that when i first got the truck (during my time of complete 6.0 ignorance) I wired up a smoke switch. since the truck had a stock tune on it at the time it didnt smoke at all and i hated the idea of turning the turbo vanes on and off so i immediately took all of it off that evening and repaired the vgt wire with a crimp on but connector. Could this connection possibly draw to much amperage and overheat or something possibly?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
the veins are sticking. clean the turbo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So cleaning the vanes should fix this problem? I pulled codes with the insight and it said no codes were found.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I turned the tune down to 65hp tune because I havnt had time to clean the turbo and it seems it isn't doing it near as bad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts