Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I knew my headlight switch was needing replacement for a while, sometimes when you turn them on the dash lights would not light up until you jiggle the switch, then they would work fine.

But, this afternoon I drive home from work, and when I get home I notice with the headlight switch never touched, my dome light and door lights were on, so I rotate my switch to make sure they are off, and nothing changes. I go around and make sure all of the doors are shut good, still no change, I can still manually flip the switches on the dome lights on and off, but the on when door light or switched from headlight switch position stays lit no matter what.

So, I go grab a headlamp switch thinking that will fix it, take mine apart and unplug the switch....dome and door lights stay on...spades on back of switch and the harness side of the plug looks like one of the spades got hot and the harness plug actually has a burnt and cracked area around one of the spade terminals...its beginning to get dark, so I pull the #8 under dash fuse that controls the dome lights so they would go out and put it back together with the new switch.

Thinking this would by me a few days till I could source some schematics and trace down the problem....unfortunately for me that fuse also kills power to the odo and spedo and thus sends the trans into limp mode.

I am afraid to drive it in limp mode, and I am afraid to drive it with the fuse in worried that there is a short.

Anyone had this problem before? Anyone have access or a link to schematics so I can trace down the wires from the headlight switch from that spade, I'm thinking maybe it did get hot and shorted out two wires thus the lights staying on...it didn't blow the 15 amp fuse, so its not very powerful whatever the case may be, but I don't want to even risk burning the truck up or tearing up the trans again.

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Justin

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
It sounds like one of your door pins is broken which will make the lights tay on all the time. For the front doors you pull the kick panels to get to them and for the rear doors there is an access panel on the b post that has two screws and two christmas tree plugs in it. on of them is "shorting" doing what it should do with the door open but with the door closed. You can find new ones in the help section at the parts store.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like one of your door pins is broken which will make the lights tay on all the time. For the front doors you pull the kick panels to get to them and for the rear doors there is an access panel on the b post that has two screws and two christmas tree plugs in it. on of them is "shorting" doing what it should do with the door open but with the door closed. You can find new ones in the help section at the parts store.
You are the man!!!!!!!

it ended up being the door switch for my rear driver side door....even though I had not opened that door up to that point in the day. I guess the vibration caused it to finally break, the housing cracked on It and the spring was coming out the back side.

Justin

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Speeddemon is our resident ask Smokey here lately. Great call.

(who will get the ask Smokey part?)

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Heck Tom I don't even get it. What did I do???

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
His column "Say, Smokey" was a staple of Popular Science magazine in the 1960s and 1970s; it consisted of his responses to letters sent to him by readers regarding mechanical conditions affecting their cars and technical questions about how automotive performance could be improved. He also wrote for Circle Track magazine, and published his autobiography Best Damn Garage in Town in January 2001. The audiobook version was narrated by longtime friend John De Lorean.

In 1984, Yunick published Smokey's Power Secrets (ISBN 0931472067).

Those column are one of the reasons I think I enjoy these forums like I do.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Ah I see. Never heard of his column before. I just enjoy helping people help themselves in figuring out what is wrong so they can fix it themselves. It not only makes them more self sufficient but it is knowledge they can pass onto others. People with trade skills are becoming ever more scarce these days and there are more and more parts changers instead of real mechanics in this world. I just hope that my contributions are helpful and wanted. I myself havce learned alot from this forum.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Smokey Yunick was also the guy who took a little 4 banger car and increased the performance with a thing he called a "homogenizer" that somehow mixed up the air/fuel mixture better for the increased performance.

Strange that everyone elso thought it looked like a turbo with insulating wrap on it. :eek: He was one of the best at "cheating" with the racing rules.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
OH jesus. I know who Smokey Yunick is. I missed that part before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts