Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was pulling a hill with empty dump trailer nd all of sudden ect jumped to 240 on flat nd down hill still right around 200 am I having thermostat issue?? Have 07 350 with sct had it on performance preload tune no it's better to run stock when towing but first time ever had issue any thoughts let me
No please thx

·
Registered
652 Posts
Was pulling a hill with empty dump trailer nd all of sudden ect jumped to 240 on flat nd down hill still right around 200 am I having thermostat issue?? Have 07 350 with sct had it on performance preload tune no it's better to run stock when towing but first time ever had issue any thoughts let me
No please thx
All the stock Ford t/stat stick open 99.9% of the time so are you low on coolant new full cold is the ADD mark are you still running the Ford Gold Junk coolant have you flushed the system are you running gauges like the Edge Insight or ScanGauge II if not you had better need to know the difference between ECT-EOT max 15* i think if you are close to 10* your cooler (oil and egr coolers) are starting to get plugged thats doing 60mph on flat ground after about 5min.
2 stroker

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I no check engine light is on and it's for the egr so maybe that is what it is plus the oil cooler. Thought maybe thermostat just cause my heat only works moving. I drove home after overheating nd 202 was as hot as ran nd I was loaded I did return the truck back to stock too just the first time that's ever happened seemed like it happen real sudden. Thx for the input nd yes the edge insight is a must nd hope to get is soon when the extra funds come available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little at degas bottle cap which just got brand new too that's it nd only get little white smoke at cold start first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Does the white smoke increase the more days you let the truck sit? Is your coolant level dropping?

The reason why I am asking is that your coolant MIGHT be in bad shape and has also clogged the oil and egr coolers, damaging them.
Once the egr or oil cooler goes, the other is already bad or will soon be bad due to the ford coolant clogging them

Is your fan engaging when it gets to the hotter temps?

ECT at 200 is not bad at all. I even hit that on a summer day unloaded. Towing 10,000+lbs with tuning I have gone in the 220-230 range, but never ever past 230.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure on the increase in smoke cause truck only sits over night nd the coolant doesn't seem to drop if it does it's not enough to notice. Could just be me but there seems to be a ton of pressure in the degas bottle like just after cold start warming up ten fifteen mins nd it's already built a ton of pressure. Fan seems to work good u could here it engage to a diff speed when it was running hot.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You could park nose down hill and when it is cold pull the egr valve and if it is bamp or wet you have a bad egr cooler
DTS Articles - 6.0L EGR Valve Cleaning
DTS Articles - EGR Servicing
You just need gauges sooner than later because if you pop the oil cooler you will have one big mess most of the time the egr cooler will go first
Here is some good reading that may help.
The 6.0 is known to blow head gaskets. This is why it happens. The Ford Gold coolant contains silicates. The silicates are not able to handle high EGT's generated by a good load or relatively high boost when run through the EGR cooler. They break down into a jell like sludge and fall out of suspension. This crud gets caught up in the tiny coolant passageways of the oil cooler. As the cooler clogs up it restricts coolant flow to the egr cooler. Now the egr cooler doesn't have enough coolant to carry off the heat generated by high EGT's. The limited amount of coolant in the egr cooler flash boils causing high pressure in the cooling system and the truck pukes coolant from the degas bottle due to the pressure. (it has to go somewhere)
Your uninformed Powerstroke owner is not monitoring his coolant temps and oil temps so he doesn't know whats going on and he keeps driving it this way. The problem get worse, the pressure causes the egr cooler to rupture. Now the egr cooler is leaking coolant into the intake manifold which then runs into the cylinders. Again the high combustion temps cause the coolant to vaporize. This causes unacceptably high cylinder pressure, the TTY head bolts stretch due to the additional pressure and there go your head gaskets.

Ok now you know the problem. Here's the cure. Get a good engine monitoring solution like the Edge Insight so that you can monitor your ECT and EOT. If those temps get more than 15* apart at normal cruising when at normal operating temperature your oil cooler is clogging up. Rebuild it now to prevent all that down stream damage from occurring. Flush that Ford Gold coolant cxxp out of your engine with a couple bottles of Restore. This is made specifically to clean out that silicate residue. Now refill it with a silicate free Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant. This removes the silicates that clog the oil cooler from the equation. If you live in an area where you don't have smog inspections delete the egr system. If you can't delete it replace the egr cooler with the cooler manufactured by Bulletproof Diesel. This is vastly superior to the Ford oem egr cooler and it will not fail on you. If you find that you need to replace head gaskets replace the TTY head bolts with ARP studs and use black onyx (Victor Reinz) head gaskets or Ford HGs. If you have to replace the egr cooler always replace the oil cooler. That is the source of the problem.
Replaced oil cooler still difference in temps - Page 21 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
2 stroker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts