Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked in my overflow and have a thin film of what looks like oil ontop of the coolant in the overflo tank up on the radiator? Any idea what this is from?

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
thought he said oil...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Can't that be oil cooler o-rings?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does the oill cooler get oil into the water? Wouldn't it be the other way? Or is the pil pressure greater than the water pressure?

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
I'd say more around 75 psi cold and about 3400 in injection system....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So its the oil cooler then? Anyway to confirm? Is it safe to drive untill i get the o rings?

·
Registered
284 Posts
you have a leaking oil cooler... after replacement, fill the engine with straight water and a small bottle of Cascade, YES, your wifes automatic dishwashing detergent...!!.. Run the engine for a day or so, and allow the cascade to circulate throughout the system.. It will break down the oil and allow you to flush it out...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Wouldn't you be afraid that the cascade could damage the waterpump seals? Maybe not, just curious. I have not heard that idea, but it may be well accepted.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
Yea...I have heard it several times, but when they make flushes that are specifically for this, ya tend to use it...

·
Registered
444 Posts
if any oil has coated the internal working of the engine it works as an insulator and proper heat tranfer cannot be accomplished. thus wash out the system when oil cooler repaired and maximize the heat transfer.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
BTW, when should someone replace those o-rings as preventative maint?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts