Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I just got my '08 running recently after a complete engine rebuild (and the rest of the truck for that matter), and I'm having a problem that really worries me.....the truck won't accelerate right when trying to rev it anything past easy, it's running real rich and the rpms won't rise (they do go up eventually but it takes a while). When I give it light acceleration it revs ok....This is all at an idle by the way, I tried to drive it but it doesn't want to go and I don't want to hurt anything.

Now lemme fill you in on a few details first....I have EGR block off plates installed and no tune yet, would that cause it? Does this sound like limp mode? That's my main question.

When I do the KOER test I get some EGR codes and a P2263, Turbo Boost Performance which looks like it can be EGR related too. EPB sensor is good so its not that and the turbos are new. I have the stock DPF/CAT on it at the moment, not sure if that would cause this if it was clogged or something.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
pretty sure you need a tuner if you have the egr deleted...your pcm is not seeing any egr flow and is probably putting you into some kind of limp mode. get a tuner on it and get the dpf off of it and see what happens

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I do have a Spartan for the truck but didn't put the tune in yet. They told me to get the latest PCM updates from Ford 1st before tuning it.....So I guess I shouldn't drive it then huh?

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
if the truck is out of warranty then i would take it to a ford dealer and have them put the latest flash into it and then put you spartan on it. if its still under warranty idk what ford will say about the egr's being gone...i wouldnt drive it though..trailer it or have a wrecker come pick it up

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
All he has is blocker plates so they are easy to take out. Im not sure why the OP hasnt tried this. But that is what is wrong with your truck, the egr flow is messing up your turbo vein cycle and all

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
All he has is blocker plates so they are easy to take out. Im not sure why the OP hasnt tried this. But that is what is wrong with your truck, the egr flow is messing up your turbo vein cycle and all
ahhh didnt catch that...im bettin your right

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...haven't tried removing the plates because as soon as it comes back from Ford with the update the DPF is coming off and the Spartan is going on. So looks like I'll have it trucked there. They owe me the update anyway because of a recall from a while back....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Why do you have to update before the spartan tuner goes no? That is not true. Tune the truck with the spartan, Go to the dealer detune the truck in the parking lot get update from ford, retune the truck with spartan in the parking lot. Fire the truck up smile and drive home.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, guys I'm back......with more bad news. I finally sent the truck to Ford, had the computers reflashed and updated and then had it dropped back off. Truck was still missing/sputtering off idle and is not driveable. So I dropped the DPF/Cat out, downloaded the updated files from Spartan to my tuner and loaded it. I believe I put the No EGR/DPF 150HP Tune in (truck is not even broken in so I'm not going buck wild yet). Start it up and it still sounds sluggish. Tried taking it down the road, it went about a quarter mile and then falls on its face. It will barely run off idle and is spitting and sputtering with a cloud of black/diesel smoke (it reeks of diesel so it is fuel). It really seems like it is getting fuel without a problem but the boost is not there that it wants. There is boost but it's just not kicking in. I have to sit there with it sputtering to slowly get it to come up to 20 or so. I am not getting any codes and in the KOER test just the EGR code which is expected. MAP, Baro, and EBP are all around 14-15 KOEO and around 17 running if I remember correctly.

Soooo I take it back to the shop, and start swapping parts out, tried a good EBP sensor, no difference, another map sensor, no difference, another VGT actuator, no difference. MY HPFP progressively increases pressure as I ask for it with the pedal, not like it is cutting out or anything. Airfilter is not plugged. Low Fuel Side is at proper pressure and not dropping off. What am I missing?? Any ideas? Could the MAF sensor cause this?

I was also wondering if the VGT Duty cycle should respond instantly to the accelerator or not. Mine is around 95% at idle, which seems normal, but when I stomp it and it starts missing and chugging it still stays in the 90s. Eventually the boost slowly comes up and the truck will get moving and that is when the Cycle finally drops. Does that sound normal? What controls the operation of the actuator?

Thanks guys....I just completely rebuilt this truck and am ready to go cry in the corner (or burn it) because I can't get it to run right!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't have a spartan but seems like the popular tunes are the 275 and the 310 tune. Just double check the settings on the tuner and u kno have the egr and dpf deleted on the tuner. And if that doesn't work and uve tried everything I'd contact spartan. U have a aftermarket air filter right? I'd just double check everything u kno try a bigger tune. Good luck man

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I could try another tune but it seems to be the same problem that was there before the tune. It's the exact issue I was having in my original post.

·
Diesel Addict
1,565 Posts
yeah but if you put the 275 tune on you will know the egr is turned off and if it still runs like crap than i would say you have a problem.

Have you checked all your intercooler boots for leaks?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah but if you put the 275 tune on you will know the egr is turned off and if it still runs like crap than i would say you have a problem.

Have you checked all your intercooler boots for leaks?
True, but I'm definitely running a non-egr tune. I just downloaded the new tunes and they are separate from the egr tunes.

Actually checked the boots last night but will again. Weird thing is now I'm not getting any codes at all during the KOER test... Makes it that much harder to diagnose!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like you guys were right.....I loaded the 250 tune for now and it is running much better, no more stumbling and the truck revs great. On the downside, the truck still feels slow, like it has a hesitation off the line, top-end is ok but something is lacking down low. I only had a chance to take it up the street a couple times but it goes on the road today so hopefully I can put a little more time on it and find out exactly what is going on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having same trouble, have u figured out what it was? my truck is showing codes uo100,uo115, and uo2023. does anyone know what they are?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately my problem isn't fixed. Turns out the 275 tune was just masking it, the higher the tune the more sensors are disabled. So I put a lower tune in it and the problem is still there and much worse. I have some more info so I think I'm going to start a new thread on it which I'll post to help others out.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, I FINALLY got this thing figured out and it is running perfect. I wanted to post my info to save someone the headache and aggravation I went through. I had not only Ford techs scratching there heads on this one but even a Ford engineer who came out to look at it.

Problem was 6 out of 8 injectors were bad. I bought them new (or so I thought) but apparently they were defective. I am assuming because the majority were bad the computer couldn't sense the issue and throw the codes. Hopefully this will help someone out at some point. Thanks for your input everyone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts