Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I desperately need to pick some brains:
Last week, I went out to start my '95 C&C dump. It started, ran a few seconds, and died. I hit it again, it started and immediately died. Then, no start. I checked the HPOP level, and it was empty. I took advantage of the empty reservoir and decided to change the IPR, considering I've had it for over a year. So, I did that, and changed the oil.
I filled the reservoir, and hit the key. It cranked longer than usual, but started and ran fine. I have driven it the last couple of days. Both mornings the reservoir has been about an inch low. This morning, the same. So, I started it, let it run for a couple of minutes, and shut it off. I checked the reservoir, and it had filled right back up to full. But, I noticed the oil would "bubble", or "gurgle", and the level was draining back down right before my eyes. Plus, it still cranks about twice as long as normal to start it.
So, someone correct if I'm wrong- but it seems the low pressure pump is doing it's job, if it's filling the reservoir back up immediately after start-up. Second- something that's supposed to keep the oil from draining back is not working. But why?
I have not put a gauge on the engine to check the lpop. The idiot gauge is showing fine, but I know it's not at all precise.
Does ANYBODY have any suggestions where look next? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Agree, it sounds like the lube pump is working. Verifying that you have good oil pressure is good, but if its not held in the reservoir, its hard to measure.

Is the IPR tin nut still on and tight against the electromagnet? IPR electrical plug good? If so, sounds like its acting up/sticking. If it does not close the drain port, the hpop just pumps it back in the motor--with no rail pressure, it dies.

Try starting it with the ICP sensor unplugged as this will force the IPR to regulate at 750 psi default.

For your reading pleasure... HPOP Manual - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went out and looked again, and the hpop is full. Don't know how that happened without the engine running.
I just replaced the ipr, after the reservoir went empty the first time. Other than a couple of tired injectors, it runs great. Step on it, the turbocharger spools up and picks up power fast, especially considering the truck weighs #7800.
You just have to crank the hell out of it to start it. Warm or cold.
Is it normal for the hpop level to be down an inch?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Is it normal for the hpop level to be down an inch?
It doesn't get FULL, if that's what you're asking. The overflow for it sits about 3/4" below the very top of the reservoir. So if the oil level sits at about that height when you check it, then it's fine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Is it possible that the oil rails have an air pocket in them?
More likely that you have a tired HPOP or old injector o-rings than a random air-bubble in the rails.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just grasping. It runs great. A little shaky idle. But it doesn't miss a beat. And, it pulls like a tractor. I'm going to take another look at the ipr plug. When I changed the solenoid the other day, the plug was pretty rough looking.
I've got a friend that works on PSD'S. He has a scanner. I'm going to see if I can set up a time to look it over.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I disconnected the batteries, and cleaned the IPR plug. Starts fine, now. So far, reservoir is staying full. Who knows?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts