Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need sum help and fast i just got done with a 65 hour work week and im about to do it all over agian tonight when my 96 F250 stalled on me today I started up the truck and was going to head to town to pick up sum stuff but after a mile or two from home it just quit like i turned the truck off no wierd noises or puddles to be seen the wait to start light will not come on and fuse 22 was blown i unplugged my fuel heater and swapped in another 30a maxi fuse to get home but as soon as you turn the key to koeo (key on engine off) the wait to start light flicks on for a second and blows the fuse again i believe its a short but is it after the glow plug relay in the harness to the glow plugs or before i just replaced the glow plug relay a month ago would a mustang solenoid F up my glowplug system if used it I thought that i repaced my relay with a glow plug relay off my 86 F250 diesel but mayb i grabbed the wrong part out of the barn electrical was never my strong point in school so any help would be appreciated

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
first off, welcome to PSN!

second, try to use puncuation when you post here. your post is very hard to read/understand.

third, try posting it in the correct section of the site. this section is for 99 and newer. there is a seperate section for OBS trucks.

now to address your problem. A mustang solenoid wont work correctly. it is a momentary design, not a continuous duty. it may allow them to work, but you can melt the solenoid, causing problems. try replacing it with the correct one (GPR109 or GRP110 at napa) and go from there

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I would make sure that it was the fuel heater that you unpluged. If you have any question on which wire it is you can unplug it on the inside of the filter housing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry for the run on english wasn't a strong point either in high school. But ill move my post to the right section thanks for being clear on what i have to do

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will stop by napa tommarow and buy the glow plug relay just to make sure i didn't put the wrong part on. and i unplugged a single red wire on the right side of the fuel bowl if you are looking from the front of the truck. how do you eliminate the fuel heater completly and what tools do you need for future refrence

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The wire you would be looking for would be about halfway down the side of the fuel bowl. It has a funky-looking spade connector on it. You can eliminate the fuel heater by draing the fuel bowl and removing the filter. Then using a 7/8" crows-foot wrench, remover the plastic standpipe (it is LEFTHAND THREADED!) and then the fuel heater. Cheers!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Why eliminate the fuel heater?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just want to eliminate it because ive heard it has a tendancy to short out and blow that 30a maxi fuse im having issues with.

1st i want to swap in a new glow plug relay to see if that was the problem why i keep blowing fuse 22 in the under hood fuse box. I might of accidently swapped in a starter solinoid off a 92 mustang in place of my glow plug relay a month ago when i was having a cold start condition

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Starter relay won't blow the fuse, but it will cause the glow plugs to run 100% of the time the key is in RUN. Oh, I guess if you wired it so both "small" wires were on the same post, then yeah, that would blow the #22 fuse, because it would constitute a short to ground.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well it wasn't the fuel heater that was shorting out. I replaced the glow plug relay and double checked how i had it hooked up and it was right. so now i don''t have any issues and i get to drive my baby to work i just want to thank everyone here @ Powerstrokenation.com for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.