Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If I do have a leak in the windshield how would I find what its getting into to cause this issue or how could It be fixed

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,208 Posts
Since you have cluster issues, I would remove the cluster and send it in. Look for signs of water with the cluster removed.

I just don't see how water can get into the engine well to affect the wiring under the hood. Maybe it could get to the wiring along the firewall. If there were some wire chaffing in the engine harness, then maybe it could affect readings. I still keep coming back to the data you posted. V-reference looks good. The ICP voltage matches exactly the pressure that the PCM is reporting. It looks like an issue w/ low pressure.

So was that data collected during or after a rain? If not, you have an issue that might be IN ADDITION to the rain issue.

So many things are possible, just not likely. Still the only way to resolve the issues is by digging in, collecting data, and inspecting things - when the problem is occurring.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,208 Posts
One other thing - weak batteries (even one weak battery) can cause weird issues to happen.

I always make sure that the batteries have load tested good (both independently) before I begin no-start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yep! Batteries can go bad and you end up with this. I just replaced mine after 2 years as they don’t seem to live longer than that. Of course, it was 100% warranty, so I saved money there!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I been hoping it would dry out and crank like usual but I've had no luck getting it started... I go to crank it and my oil gauge acts like it wants to take a few minutes to show that I have base oil pressure. I Gave it a tiny shot of butane in the air intake and it sped up the cranking but without base oil pressure it didn't do anything. Once the base oil pressure showed on my gauge I gave it another little shot and It tried to start ran for maybe a second or two and died back out... I't still wet from the heavy dew fall here in Mississippi I don't know what to do with it anymore Anyone wanna buy a 6.0 haha

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,208 Posts
It seems you have confirmed you have a real oil pressure issue. It could be an issue w/ the low pressure oil delivery and pressure or it could totally be related to the high pressure side.

You need to do an air test. Lots of videos on this.

The late 04 model year has the following weak areas in the high pressure oil system (in order of most frequent to least frequent):
- Dummy plugs
- HPOP
- IPR
- Standpipes
- Oil rail and injector top seals

If the Dummy plugs and Standpipes have ever been upgraded, then they probably aren't bad. You can tell if they have been upgraded, they will have a 12mm hex head for removal and installation.

The HPOP can be condemned during the air test if you hear air leakage at the oil filter canister.

You might want to remove the IPR and inspect it before doing anything. Sometimes it can get plugged. It has a screen on it, but still you can get trash in it and the screen can actually get sucked up into the valve.

I still think you need to charge and then individually load test the batteries. More people have battery issues than you could ever imagine. Also, most seem to deny it until they load test!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm with bismic1. Unplugging the ICP sensor deferres the pcm to anywhere from 850 to 1000+ psi. But even in that configuration, you still have to have 400-500 actual psi to operate the injectors.
Hook a direct reading gauge up in place of the ICP sensor and that will tell the truth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
WELL Its been dry for about a week. I unhooked the positive post on both batteries two days ago. Trickle charged each battery for 1 day each... went out about ten minutes ago hooked them up turned the key and it started right up within seconds... What could be getting wet that would cause this issue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Its been 4 days no rain... I unhooked both batteries positive wire 2 days ago and trickle charged my batteries 1 day each. went outside today hooked my batteries up, turned my key to the on position, let it run its cycle. Turned my key off Back to the on position let it run its cycle again when the glow plug light went off on the second cycle. I went ahead and tried to start it and it fired right up like it was fresh off the showroom floor. Can someone please explain why my truck is doing this?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,208 Posts
Load test the batteries and have the alternator checked as previously suggested.

You might also check the cables and connections - including the grounds.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,208 Posts
Update? ..........

21 - 31 of 31 Posts