Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has a 6.4L King Ranch srw. He is getting 9-10 mpg. His neighbor just got a brand new Duramax 2500 CC short bed and he claims to get 22mpg and boast 400 hp stock. It is not the power that he is disappointed with, it is the horrific fuel mileage.
I am a 7.3 owner and know very little about deleting the particulate filter. What are the options for this guy? Can he maintain his warranty with any mods? Would he pass an inspection in NY? What kind of mpg can he get out of this thing?
I hope there is something reasonable that can be done. I could not live with that kind of mileage. Thanks

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have a friend who has a 6.4L King Ranch srw. He is getting 9-10 mpg. His neighbor just got a brand new Duramax 2500 CC short bed and he claims to get 22mpg and boast 400 hp stock. It is not the power that he is disappointed with, it is the horrific fuel mileage.
I am a 7.3 owner and know very little about deleting the particulate filter. What are the options for this guy? Can he maintain his warranty with any mods? Would he pass an inspection in NY? What kind of mpg can he get out of this thing?
I hope there is something reasonable that can be done. I could not live with that kind of mileage. Thanks
he deffinetly should do a delete. he will need a tuner to do it. its possible not to void your warrenty if you dealer is cool. also if your real carful you can clear the computer put everything back good and might not get caught. i would go with a spartan or sct tuner, or edge is pretty good if he isnt really lookin for power i like the cts. but anyway he can gain a few mpgs. i also highly doubt his neighbor is getting 22. on the freeway i guess but i can get 18-19 on the highway so yeah. in town he prolly about 14 where i get about 12-13. thats all hand calced. if i go by the lie o meter add 2 mpg.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm pretty confident that the 2011 Duramax (with 397hp) is not even hitting the lots yet. Googling it, I found an article from yesterday that states they are just rolling off the assembly line. So your friend's neighbor is probably lying and has a 2010 with just 365hp.

Doing as search of the LMM on the Duramax forums shows that they get about the same as my 6.4 with their DPF on as well, usually no better than 17mpg unloaded.

Is your friend strictly going off the lie-o-meter or hand calculating his mileage? And if he's going off the computer, is he resetting it often? I reset mine after every fill up to get a more accurate reading, and comparing to my hand calculated figures, it's pretty accurate on mine.

·
CEO & PRESIDENT, RHTFC
68 Posts
I own a 2008 F-450 and I'm getting 10.9 mpg
my truck configuration is the following:

100 % bone stock
4.88 differential
6 speed manual transmission

My normal cruising speed is 65 mph @2500rpm and usually make shifting @2000rpm. I love the truck but 10.9 mpg is silly. If your friend is getting 10 mpg then that is pretty normal on these trucks. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

100 % bone stock
4.88 differential

My normal cruising speed is 65 mph @2500rpm and usually make shifting @2000rpm. I love the truck but 10.9 mpg is silly. If your friend is getting 10 mpg then that is pretty normal on these trucks. I hope this helps.
you got huge gears tho man...

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts

get a dpf delete tuner

as far as keeping warranty and passing smog with tuner and delete pipe...not a chance! you would have to return it to stock.

and your friends neighbor is full of sh!t sine the new dmax (which ive read here hasnt even come out) doesnt even break 400 to the flywheel

·
Registered
359 Posts
:whs: even if the new 397hp dmaxs were out who cares about flywheel power what matters is whats hitting the ground and that def not 400hp dpf delete innovatve custom tuning will get it close to 20 mpg at least on my buddys 6.4 then go blow him off the road!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just do what the Duramax owner is doing....lie.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts

100 % bone stock
4.88 differential

The bolded items are why you are getting that kind of mileage, you bought a truck that's meant to tow, not pull down mpg's. If you wanted that truck with better mpg's, you should have bought a 250 or 350 with 3.55's.

Dave

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
i would def do a tuner and delete, my truck gets around 22-23 driving nice down the highway on a full out race tune
on a 6.4 ? this is hand calculated? robert is driving my truck home from denver with eric's street tune in it and he said the lie-ometer is reading 26 ... and is usually 2-3 high, i was asking him top hand calculate.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i would def do a tuner and delete, my truck gets around 22-23 driving nice down the highway on a full out race tune
on a 6.4 ? this is hand calculated? robert is driving my truck home from denver with eric's street tune in it and he said the lie-ometer is reading 26 ... and is usually 2-3 high, i was asking him top hand calculate.
thats hella good! i see about 25 on the lie-o. if cruisin in stage 3 but if i hand calc best ive ever had was just under 19. usually 16-18

·
Registered
495 Posts
The bolded items are why you are getting that kind of mileage, you bought a truck that's meant to tow, not pull down mpg's. If you wanted that truck with better mpg's, you should have bought a 250 or 350 with 3.55's.

Dave
:whs:
I get around 14 unloaded keeping it under 60 mph or 10-12 loaded. This is all with the spartan 210. If I load the 250, i see better mileage but the clutch hates me. The 450 isn't a race truck, it's a tow truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts