Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 F-250 with a 6.0 that is driving me nuts! I have been running my SCT with the MKM Customs canned fuel economy tune for about a month. The other day I changed to the street performance tune. Driving around town it felt great. After about 30 mins of driving I decided to try it out with a little skinny pedal. It got to 2500RPM and just seemed to stall there. Anything more than about 50% throttle it seems to have no power, some grayish/black smoke (no white or blue). Almost feels like its flooded. I returned it back to stock to see if maybe the tune was bad and it behaves the same. I don't think it had anything to do with the tune. This is my wife's daily driver and she doesn't drive it hard, so it is very possible that cruising around town she never triggered the problem (or never noticed it).

A little background info:

Truck has 225,000 miles on it. I did studs, oem gaskets, upgraded oil cooler, egr delete, exhaust, fuel regulator kit, new turbo drain pipe, new stand pipes, etc... Basically everything possible from every TSB dating back to '03. I did this in my shop about 20,000 miles ago and I have had "0" issues since then.

So at WOT the boost is about 25psi, you can hear the turbo spool until about 2500 rpm's and then all I can hear is the engine. It almost sounds like its "gargling".

I have pulled and cleaned the EBP sensor/tube just in case. Batteries are fully charged, checked all turbo boots hot and cold side. Changed fuel filters, oil is 2000 miles old and level is good.

I'm thinking there is a problem between the HFCM and the Pressure regulator. I can hear the pump changing pitch when I pump the brakes (weird I know) also it intermittantly cavitates and when I shut off the truck I can hear fuel gurgling back down from the filter under the hood (don't know if this is normal). I am going to put a gauge on the test port this afternoon and see what my pressure readings are.

If they check out good are there any suggestions as to where I go from here? Need help guys, I don't want my wife stranded somewhere because I failed to fix her truck. (I'd be in big trouble)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I am getting 4 codes

p0403-EGR
P0405-EGR
p1000-Diagnostics system not ready
p2290-ICP too low

I know the first three are from the EGR delete and having just returned it to stock.

The P2290 only shows up if I try to run at WOT. As long as I just cruise around it doesn't show up. Could this be caused by poor fuel supply?

·
Registered
287 Posts
a scangauge2 would help out on the icp code. the sensor maybe be bad along with the wiring harness. could it possibly be a turbo vein sticking problem. u need to romp on these enough so they dnt get sooted up.

also, a fuel pressure gauge will help with trying to find out hfcm problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I couldn't get the Fuel pressure reading last night because my test pressure gauge doesn't work anymore... I ordered a new one to mount permanently in the cab. As far as the ICP sensor goes, I replaced it and the wiring harness back in March when I did everything else and it has run fine since then. I would never rule it out though until I test it. I also reconditioned the turbo then, and I do hear it cycle at idle and change pitch when accelerating. If all else fails pulling the turbo is easy enough.

Thanks for the reply. I need some people to chime in with experiences. Has anyone had a poor performing HFCM? If so, what were the symptoms?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the truck started to run poorly at any throttle position other than idle. At first it would start fine and idle but wouldn't respond to any change in throttle position. Now it won't start at all. I'm thinking IPR. Any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm watching this thread closely, as my symptoms are almost identical to yours! Mine has felt like the power is weaker at full throttle than 3/4 throttle with some gargling from the engine (like you said flooding). Initially I thought fuel pressure and sure enough it was low (40 psi at idle and dropping under throttle). I replaced the HFCM and it hasn't improved. I'm got the same p2290 code under full throttle that you do but haven't replaced any sensors yet due to lack of funds and the fact that mind still runs good except at full throttle. Please update this thread if you find the fix. The responses from other forums about my problem range from fuel pressure to icp, ipr, and the hpop. Hoping yours and mine are as simple as a sensor and not the hpop. Don't know about you but I'm not looking forward to tearing into it again. I just finished up an egr delete and coolant swap about a week ago for a leaking egr cooler. Keep us posted on what you find out! Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear about your troubles wrangler. This is very frustrating. Hopefully you find your problem before you get where I am.

So, the wife was driving it on friday and it stalled out on her just as she pulled into our barn. Couldn't get it started.

I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and was reading <50psi with the key on engine off. Since it wouldn't start I couldn't check running pressure. I replaced the HFCM and it started, but wouldn't do anything but idle. I can push the accel to 100% and get no throttle response.

Tested the FICM and I get 47.9 volts in all 3 scenarios.

Pulled the wiring harness off ICP sensor and it is cracked with a bit of exposed wire. I unplugged the harness and started the truck, nothing changed except I got the code for the ICP voltage low.

I plan to pull the IPR this week to see if there is any damage to the screen or any mechanical damage.

So one strange thing I noticed... When I start the truck it surges at idle and puffs black smoke. Sometimes it won't start. However, if I disconnect the alternator regulator harness, the idle smooths out and I have some (very little) throttle response. If I plug the harness in while the truck is running, it dies. The wires in the harness tested fine. Batteries are good, and I replaced the alternator with a known good one. Nothing changed.

Also I noticed that with the key on engine off the battery voltage drops to 11.7 and the interior lights dim alot. I don't remember this happening before. I have tested all grounds and battery cables and everything seems fine. This might just be a side effect of the problem, I don't know.

Someone please help me with suggestions, I am running out of places to look.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought that, but I looked at the throttle position on my SCT and it shows the position accurately. I assume that it uses the same position sensor as the ECM.?.?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any luck pulling your IPR? Do you have a way to monitor ICP while cranking to see if you're getting the necessary 500psi to fire the injectors? The electrical issues you described seems really strange but I'm not sure how its related to the running issues your truck is having. I'm still having similar running issues like yours, but it hasn't died on me yet. I just have no top end power and also like you notice some grayish color smoke at WOT. Getting a code po470 that shows up every now and then for the ebp sensor. How would that affect the way it runs?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ebp sensor code mean your probably getting clogged up with soot in the tube.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well EBP does affect your turbo vane position. If you are reading a low EBP then your vanes would be closing to try to increase back pressure. That would, in my mind, cause an overboost situation. You might try removing the sensor and cleaning the tube out with something. I used weedeater string and it worked ok on mine. However, if you have an 03 build truck then the EBP was deleted from the logic and you don't need to worry about it.

My truck will fire off and the tach will jump to 300 rpm then it dies. It sounds like its getting the pressure to crank, but then it looses all pressure.

I am waiting on the IPR tool to be delivered. Luckily I have an identical truck sitting next to mine waiting for head gaskets, so I have known good parts to swap and check.

I am beginning to think that the Electrical issues don't really have anything to do with my problem. It could have just been a fluke. It is possible that if I am having IPR solenoid issues, the change in current from the Alternator is disrupting something.?.? Just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an update.

I got a ScanGauge II today and put in all the X-Gauges I needed. While cranking, It read as follows:

ICP: 650psi
IPR %: 73%
FICM: 47.5V
Cam PS/Crank PS Sync: Synced
FICM Sync: Synced
RPM: 350

Every couple of tries it will start up and idle rough, then 5-7 seconds later it will die, again it sounds like it is running out of fuel. I have about 1/2 tank, new fuel filters, new HFCM. Are there any competent techs on here that can help me out. Apparently I suck at this diagnosis thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just saw your last post. I'm no tech, but it seems like to me your IPR percentage is really high to get the icp to 650. That piece of info there would leave me to believe that you have a high pressure oil leak somewhere, or the possibility of a bad hpop. Either that or your IPR is bad. I think I would break out the shop air, apply it to the icp opening, apply voltage to the ipr valve and listen for leaks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... I thought the same thing. However, for the relatively low RPM that this engine turns at startup. It doesn't make sense to me that it could build enough pressure to fire off, but then die after the RPM's run up. Unless there is a problem with the control of the oil pressure.

My ICP pigtail is oily from an old sensor failure, and I noticed that one of the wires is chaffed to the point that the wiring is exposed. I ordered a new pigtail, and I am waiting on my IPR tool to come in so that I can pull that and look at its condition. I will then try to test the HPO system with compressed air. We will see what happens. I should have the tools by next week

AwesomeWrangler- How are your issues? Are you still having problems?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My issues are unchanged at this point. I found a new ebp sensor on ebay for 25 bucks so i bought it. Hopefully it's here on Monday and I can clean out the tube and install it. If that doesn't change things, I'm going to start by ordering autoenginuty and start data logging. One of my other issues is my speedo is off, because I've replaced the factory tires with 37's. My transmission has never shifted right since, not bad, just not quite factory, especially downshifting under full throttle i usually downshifts once the downshifts again. I can't complain though, it's still running and has never left me stranded. Best of luck with your issues big bear, let us know what you find out next week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got my new ebp sensor in the mail today! Gonna tear down the truck tomorrow an install it and clean out the tube. Hopefully that helps the low power I've been experiencing but I have my doubts. The way my luck has been going its probably something high pressure oil related, I'm thinking HPOP. Any updates on your problem big bear?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No updates yet, I spent the whole weekend tearing down another truck. It's been raining since. Hopefully it will clear up tomorrow so I can pull the IPR and check it. I really hope that's the problem.

That EBP sensor should be an easy place to start. I hope your problems are solved by that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced the IPR today with a known good IPR, and I repaired the ICP pigtail. No change!

Still not getting any codes with my Scangauge II or my SCT.

Before I replace the HPOP are there any ideas or suggestions? ? ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check standpipes dummy plugs

1 - 20 of 43 Posts