Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I could use some help identifying these turbos. Sorry the pictures are not any better that is what the person selling them sent me.

Thanks

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Pics aren't real good but the first one looks like it has the detroit diesel emblem cast into the inlet.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Def some good size turbos. I dont know any way to be able to tell by looking at the pics. There is so much info missing. But they do not look like they are in the best of shape. so I would be careful. Keep in mind the wheel spins at over 100,000 rpms and if it is corroded at all in the middle or there is shaft play your turbo is done. I would not buy those turbos. They have not even been properly covered for storage.

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright here is the information off of the 2 turbos.

W/clamp
Tag From Detroit Diesel
PN 23515635
SN EGM16540
Model Number(got from listed site) TMF5502
Garrett M-24 (1844-5)

W/O clamp
PN R23502335
SN ALM0079
MN TV7302
Garret M-24 (B5089)

·
NYFB. Thats what.
384 Posts
Stay away from the old TV70 series. They are worthless imo.

The GT45 large frame that you have there from a Detroit is worth looking into though. Lots of housing choices available from Precision Turbo....

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
The Detroit 'charger is from a series 60 12.7L engine, 476hp, Schwitzer S400 series (S400S061). But, since the housing clearly says "Garrett", I think it's safe to assume the S400 is an alternate part number. (Or the GT is the alternate, depending on your perspective)
All that from: turbo-product
Also, 171701 Factory New,No Core Turbo for 12.7L Detroit Engine shows that DD number as an S400.
Here's some interesting info: Rotomaster - Turbocharger
In the 2009 Garrett catalog, it mentions that the T series center section upgrades are ball bearing.

·
NYFB. Thats what.
384 Posts
Dan: Depends on what Detroit is currently using. "Hmmm... today I think we'll use Borg Warner... today we'll use Garrett....."

Good finds though.

Yes, ALL the large frame GT4xxx series turbo chargers are upgradeable to ball bearing.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
picture 1 & 3 are definately the Detroit. Note the other turbo has a much longer compressor outlet flange and a raised rib along the axis of the outlet.

On a closer look, both data tags have the Detroit logo. So both may be off a Detroit. But, looking at the flanges in relation to each other, they're definately not from the exact same engine. Maybe the same series, but it would have to be slightly different configuration or maybe different model year.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Hey where are these turbos located ? Did you find them on the .org by chance. If so watch out it's a scam. I almost bought one until I found out the turbos are trashed. The tmf series garrett turbos are no way shape or form a gt42. The tmf turbo came on ealier s60 models. The newer s60 started coming with the gt4202 and the gt4294.

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey where are these turbos located ? Did you find them on the .org by chance. If so watch out it's a scam. I almost bought one until I found out the turbos are trashed. The tmf series garrett turbos are no way shape or form a gt42. The tmf turbo came on ealier s60 models. The newer s60 started coming with the gt4202 and the gt4294.
No I found them on craigslist local to me. I don't think this is a scam heck I don't even know what he wants for them yet.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
No I found them on craigslist local to me. I don't think this is a scam heck I don't even know what he wants for them yet.
Oh ok. Just thought i'd give you a heads up just in case.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Throw me a link to the scam thread on the .org. I will take care of that:D

·
Registered
485 Posts
So if I understand correctly this turbo is a GT42?

Be careful with these 42's. I have four of them sitting on my bench everyone of them off a detroit, and everyone of them with a destroyed exhaust wheel. If you can get them cheap go for it, but I would want to see both wheels with the housings off before you pay much for them. Also that 42 has an exhaust housing that bolts on instead of a v band that holds it on. They work but it virtually eliminates all housing options and being able to clock the turbo correctly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts