Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96' 2wd F Superduty with 120k mi, recently started an uncontrollable steering wobble when you hit a bump going over 30 MPH. The truck is not meticulously manetained but not in bad shape either. I have no idea where to start.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had a similar problem and i found out that my pass side tie rod end was no good and the adjuster was also jacked up. I replaced them both and it quit. it did it again a few months later and it was a bad shock. I would just check out all of your front end and steering components

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would check all the tie-rod ends, steering box, and ball joints. Start there.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The problem that you are going to find is that the TTB(twin traction beam) arms have bushings in them where they meet the cross member. Those bushings are notorious for failing and causing the death wobble. You can check them by placing the frame on jackstands and using a prybar between the mount and the arm see if there is movement laterally. If so they are junk. Replace them with poly bushings and then check the rest of the steering if all else is good get it aligned and enjoy the no more death wobble problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts