Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 obs powerstroke. One afternoon i drove my truck to work and the speedo worked fine. The next day i drove it and the speedo was stuck on 95 but the trip worked and the transmission shifter smoothly. Then the speedo dropped to zero and the trip meter read error. So i changed the speedo out with one that i had from a recent truck. Now the speedo doesnt work and the odometer stays the same but still reads numbers. Also the transmission shifts very hard. After i changed the speedo i drove it and it will start working but stops after a mile or so. I changed the VSS but still nothing. I am lost and dont know what to do. I need the truck in a bad way. Someone please help.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
replace the speed sensor on the rear end. it sends info to the speedo and computer also check the harness to it. it is on the top ot the rear end above the pinion.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Pull your abs sensor in the top of your rear diff. Before it makes sure to clean the area real good so dirt and grit doesn't fall in. Then take a paper towel and wipe the circular hole area real good. Spray some qd electric cleaner in your vehicle abs harness and then plug in the new sensor. You may also see the connection point (I believe attached to a brake line with a wore through spot in the wire. I replaced the sensor and still have no speedo and abs light on. I covered the bare spot with loom and reset the batteries (pulled the connections) and presto I have speedo and no abs light. Use a good heat shrink and cover it with loom if the wires are wore through so they don't corrode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help but come to find out it was the psom in the dash. both of mine happened to be bad but now my speedo is working. for some reason the speedo seems to jump around at speeds above 50. does anyone have a clue as to what may be causing this? thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.