Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help? i have a 94 f250 with 7.3 and e40d trans. i was having irratic shift trble, jumping out of gears, shifting hard, and even trowing itself in neutral while driving. no rhyme or reason. could be hot or cold, and both short and long trips. doesnt always do it. od light on shifter blinks throws codes for speed sensor in pumpkin and tps on throtle body. i took it to a trans shop says whole trans if fried, i have 250k on it. so he does complete rebuild of MY TRANS and new torque convrt. still having same trble so we replaced the speed sensor and tps with ford oem parts, still trble may even be worse. im stuck dont know what to do. this trans guy is dickin me around says his diagnostic cant read my comp while hes driving it so he cant see what the sensors are doing so he cant fix it. any ideas out there????? im lost and havent had my truck for 6 months because of this. any help is appreciated fellas. thanks

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
Even though it won't set a code I vote to replace the MLPS, also known as the neutral safety switch. They are known to fail by sending false neutral signals to the PCM. There was an improved version in '95 that works much better. You probably will have a new connector come with the new part because the improved sensor has a different pinout and connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i put in the nuetral safety switch and have drove the truck since saturday almost error free. i appreciate the advice fellas. i did throw a code yesterday when i downshifted but it started shifting normal a mile down the road. so there is still something wrong but that mlps definatly corrected about 90% of my problem. im gonna follow the harnesses and make sure all the connections are clean and good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts