Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Knowledge Sponge
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't start the truck. Wait to start light does not come on when key is in the ignition. I have checked the glow plug relay and I have 12 volts on the one side, but will not pick up and give me 12 volts when I turn key to start position.
I have checked each glow plug and their ohms are good. I think it has to be the relay. Question is, can I just jump the relay with a screw driver for 30-40 seconds to heat the glow plugs and try to start it?

Going to be 8 degrees in the morning and don't stand a chance without them working. :eek: I did plug it in and also have my battery tender hooked up to make sure I have a full charge in the morning.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
First off check the fuses I believe that it is #30 on a 99+ year of truck. If it is blown you'll need to disconnect the fuel bowl heater. If it isn't blown you may have wiring problems or a problem with the PCM. And yes you can try shorting the two large lugs on the relay for a while to see if it will start.

The wait to start light has nothing to do with the glow plugs. It is just a idiot light to get you to wait a while before trying to start.

·
Knowledge Sponge
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the wait to start is just an idiot light, but it must be fed power somewhere that is tied to the relay or glow plugs. I find it odd that every time the truck won't start, the wait to start light won't come on. I will go check my fuses. That is something I have not verified yet.
Thanks.

·
Knowledge Sponge
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bugman. Thanks for your help! We were both right. Checked the 30 amp fuel heater fuse. It was loose. I pushed it in and the wait to start light came on and the dome light dimmed. Tried to start it and it popped right off.
Thanks again!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts