Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 5.4l v8 f250sd 4x4 xl reg cab
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an ongoing problem with my gauges. I have replaced the positive battery terminal (it was bad) and checked and replaced all fuses. I am having this problem when it is cold 35⁰ or colder most of the time. Sometimes at 40⁰ when I crank the truck up I get alot of clicking like the emergency flashers are on but way faster... and the gauges do a self test then either come on on turn right off....

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Bad battery or batteries.

When you first turn the key on there is a massive amp and volt draw with the glow plugs. They draw up to 200 amps when they are first activated, then when you hit the starter there is more amp and voltage draw.

If the batteries are not up to snuff you will get relays chattering and usually a no start.

Reactions: Jax

·
Administrator
8,865 Posts
yup. bad battery.
but also check the negative terminal connection. it may just be a bad connection but it sure does sound like a weak battery.

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Why would he need to put all of his trucks information into his signature?

He posted in the 1986-1997 Ford truck gas engine forum. That should be enough for a general question like he asked.

Reactions: Dustybumpers

·
Registered
2003 5.4l v8 f250sd 4x4 xl reg cab
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery is reading 12.4volts , tested it with my multimeter.... o and also my check gauge light stays on. Even when gauges read all 0s started truck today ,guages came on for about 20 seconds , clicked three times ,then cut off..... this is driving me nuts.....when they go haywire it sounds like there is a typewriter behind the gauges...
.. and all this usually happens after I start it and let it warm up for a few minutes, I hope I can figure out what it is ..... I have even walked out to the truck and open the door and it sounds like the turn signal is on ,but alot faster...... thanks for any and all help guys!
GOD Bless!!
Jeff w.

·
Administrator
8,865 Posts
12.4 volts is low. should be up in the 13 volt range engine off, and around 14 volts engine on and charging battery.

·
don't play well w others
4,381 Posts
Sounds like you have bad body grounds.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
A battery can have 12+ volts even with a cell going bad.

Start with cleaning and checking all the battery connections. Then check the "other" end of the battery cables. Clean and tighten them.

Have you done any work on it lately? A loose connection would do that.

How did you replace the battery terminal? Picture, please?

Reactions: Dustybumpers
1 - 10 of 10 Posts