Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
bamf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the ford dealership today to have my oil and filters changed, amsoil oem heavy duty diesel 10w40 I believe whatever factory calls for. Fomoco oil and fuel filters. Changed them get home and pulled into the garage and noticed a loud tapping/ knocking sound around 850 to 1700 rpms. Can't really hear it over the turbo above that. Also smell diesel fuel pretty strong which is strange considering with these fancy particulate filters I have never smelled it truck has roughly 51k miles. Called the dealership and am taking the truck in at 8 am tomorrow but the diesel tech hasn't impressed me thus far obviously. Wanted to get armed with some knowledge before I go back in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

·
bamf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to ford an intermittent typewriter sound is not abnormal after an oil change in the 2011 6.7 they even gave me the service bulletin about it. Just a little disappointing I'll give her 1k miles to go back to normal after that it's back to ford.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've heard of a lot guys getting the "typewriting" noise after oil changes, I don't think I ever noticed myself. Ford says its normal....

Let's us know what happens

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I wonder if the tech bleed the fuel system enough, after he put the new filters in? I key mine 2-3 time more after I hear the air gone in the lines. before I start-up.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
If it went in with no noise it would be back there at 8am tomorrow and wouldnt be leaving till the noise was gone.

·
Registered
932 Posts
amsoil oem heavy duty diesel 10w40 I believe whatever factory calls for.
That's not even close to what it calls for and cant believe a ford dealer would be putting that in there. it needs motorcraft 10w30 diesel oil. there are also other alternatives but never heard of using amsoil 10w40. if you are smelling fuel, it could be from fuel spilt on the engine during the fuel filter change. a little bit of spillage is somewhat un-avoidable. the typewriter noise after an oil change is typically if the oil is changed too early when the engine is new. I dont own a 6.7 but I am a diesel tech at a dealership. I have never heard the noise myself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ive heard of a lot of guys having the same loud tick/knocking sound after oil changes. Ive only used 10w30 rotella everytime around 5-6k miles, all ford filters and never had the tick issue until this last oil change at 60k. i believe there was a tsb about it but it should be gone after 1k miles or so.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's a lot more common then you might think, it has nothing to do with the change if fuel filters. The SSM from ford states that there is no repair, and it clearly states "do not attempt to repair" it's really unfortunate I would be a LITTLE upset about it if I had spent that kind of money on a new truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2014 f350 and mine makes the same typewriter noise after a oil change. I noticed it start to stop after 1000 miles from service. It will do it hit and miss at times. I hear it is very common with these 6.7 motors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
bamf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well 650 miles into my oil change and still type writing. Quite embarrassing I could have sworn I'm driving an expensive diesel truck not a hoopdy. But nevertheless I ordered 2 bottles of revx to see if this might do the trick. If it works for the 6.0 crowd maybe the stuff can turn the typewriter valve off. Will post results when I get off the rig.

·
import basher
486 Posts
The rev x works on the 6.0 for stiction issues as the injectors fire off of oil pressure. It won't do the same thing on the 6.7

·
bamf
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before I get flamed or anything take what I say with a grain of salt I am not a scientist or technician. Added the revx approx. 150 miles ago and the ticking noise is gone. Whether or not it is the revx is unknown but it's gone.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Add it next oil change and let us know

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use Amsoil but after two oil analysis I now go twice as long as the truck tells me. So in other words I reset the oil change meter and go again. When it says change the oil the second time I do. Oil analysis told me the oil was good and could go further, but this is far enough for me. You really never know when to change oil unless you get it tested. It goes about 14K on the oil. I have a 12 and never heard the tick. The only problems so far were rear end seal and radiator replaced at 35890 miles. Just under warranty...

·
Registered
75 Posts
The rev x works on the 6.0 for stiction issues as the injectors fire off of oil pressure. It won't do the same thing on the 6.7
It's been over a month since your last post. Is it still quiet?

·
Schrod
32 Posts
I use Amsoil but after two oil analysis I now go twice as long as the truck tells me. So in other words I reset the oil change meter and go again. When it says change the oil the second time I do. Oil analysis told me the oil was good and could go further, but this is far enough for me. You really never know when to change oil unless you get it tested. It goes about 14K on the oil. I have a 12 and never heard the tick. The only problems so far were rear end seal and radiator replaced at 35890 miles. Just under warranty...
How many hours are on the hour meter for 14K miles? Us farmers have always used the hour meter for changing oil in our heavy duty diesels. John Deere use to call for changing at 100 hours then went to 150 hours and now on their premium generation ll oil they claim 250 hours before changing the oil. 250 hours with a speed ave. of say 40 mph would equate to 10K miles. At 50 mph this would be the same as 12500 miles. I still change my tractors at 150 hours as they get a hard workout and the oil is thick and black at 150 hours.

·
Schrod
32 Posts
I looked into that Rev X and that is ridiculously priced. 34.95 for 4 ounces that only treats 6 quarts of oil? Take that times two. Opti-lube has a similar product and is far cheaper at about 1 oz per quart of oil would only cost about 6.50 per oil change. And I would bet is a far better product.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts