Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unless you are planning on going big power I would find a reputable trans shop in the area. I always wanted a bts until i decided that was overkill for what I wanted to do with the truck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I plan on pulling as much power as I can safely without hurting durability/ reliability. Maybe a good tuner , CAI , 4” exhaust , turbo wheel, most of the normal performance mod which might get up to maybe 300hp, thing is it will be towing a lot of the time it’s on the road camper , trailers etc. I had a quote from AAMCO for 4K with 3yr 100k warranty but damn that’s real close to a bts/ jd.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You dont need a huge built trans to have what is basically stock power. I think the ford dealer sells a 4r100 heavy duty with a warranty you can get from them. Might be worth looking in to. That's always the route I figured I would go if my trans took a dump.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
  1. thank you everyone for all the input. I’ll finally get a chance to dig into it this weekend and hopefully narrow it down. Thing is I can’t move this beast until I get a new transmission for it. Want to go with a JD or BTS but this has me nervous to pull the trigger on it. Local Powerstroke guys want the tranny In To diagnose any thing so I may just have to roll the dice on it and hope for the best. ~Backstory~.i bought this truck with a bad tranny out in NC I’m about $7500 into it and still need to get the tranny in along with intake exhaust and all that good stuff. If all goes well it should be about 15k with great trans and handful of upgrades to keep it healthy. I’ll keep updating as things progress thanks again
  2. The sound doesn’t get worse when it’s given gas, it’s not as pronounced when your in front of it but definitely clear as day when your under there so Ide say lower back. I have stethoscope I’m going to poke around with to try and pinpoint exactly where it’s coming from.
The noise sounds fairly normal for most 7.3DI’s running without a torque converter bolted to the flex plate to dampen the harmonics caused by the 7.3L’s inability to individually adjust each injectors fueling event. Each cylinder will have slightly different compression. Cylinder 8 also had the well known cackle noise caused by the fact that it is the last injector in line from the fuel bowl. The noise actually sounds like that amplified by the flywheel. Auto trans flexplates are also notorious for cracking just to the inside of the stiffening plate/washer that’s spot welded to the flywheel. As long as it doesn’t have a lot of blow by (unless the blow by It does have is “huffing” or pulsating) then you more than likely are safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
man I gotta tell you this forum is legit , you guys have been great with all info , I’m looking into the ford transmission but quick search looks like need to go thru dealer. Weather isn’t on my side today but once it clears up I’m going to do the blow by test with cap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did the blow by test and the cap just rattled off with little white smoke checked out some posts and vids about it and I think I’m good to go with that. Also went ahead and ordered the Ford reman unit. Asked about an HD model but they only had one type available, came with 3yr warranty thru Ford. So the time has come got a new flex plate will check the main seal while it’s off then go for the bellowed up pipes and exhaust before I throw in the trans since I have all that room for activities.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts