Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This a an 01 f350 with 200k trying to figure out what this knock is, any help is appreciated video link below

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,356 Posts
I don't hear a knock really, more like if you were banging 2 metal cups together...doesnt quite seem normal but I have no clue what it would be.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I hear it. Sounds like hollow metal banging together almost.

Anyway..try disabling 1 injector at a time and see if the noise lessens or goes away. I assume this truck is a manual? Any cracks in the flywheel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for reply’s it’s an automatic 200k my research says anywhere from injectors to engine failure. Kind of like going to web md to check symptoms either it’s a cold or your dying. Anyway was hoping to see if anyone dealt with something similar , new to this diesel thing working thru it all. Thanks again

And yes the hollow metal clanking is what I’m trying to figure out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks planning on putting in new rear main and flywheel before trans Install. I guess I’m just trying to make sure it’s nothing serious before I dump money into the trans and have something nuts happen to motor.

·
Project Shamu
2,467 Posts
I wouldn't touch the rear main unless its leaking. It's not common for them to fail.

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Do as said above by disabling an injector one by one. If/ when it stops, switch that injector with one that sounds good. If the sound follows the injector, it's bad. If it doesn't, it's that cylinder. I've heard of it once and it was a bad wrist pin.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Do as said above by disabling an injector one by one. If/ when it stops, switch that injector with one that sounds good. If the sound follows the injector, it's bad. If it doesn't, it's that cylinder. I've heard of it once and it was a bad wrist pin.
Even if the noise stops when an injector Is unplugged, it could still be wrist pin/piston related. You’d be taking the load off that cylinder and the noise may not show itself without a load on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is Wrist pin/piston worst case scenario does that mean motor is done?

How does one go about confirming this?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
If it is Wrist pin/piston worst case scenario does that mean motor is done?

How does one go about confirming this?
A wrist pin means you have to remove the piston from the bore and replace the piston and wrist pin and the bushing in the connecting rod. It’s definitey fixable, just a little time consuming.

·
Proud PSN Sponsor!
2,150 Posts
Even if the noise stops when an injector Is unplugged, it could still be wrist pin/piston related. You’d be taking the load off that cylinder and the noise may not show itself without a load on it.
This is why the rest of the suggestion of switching the injector is important. If the noise follows the injector, it's the injector. If it stays in the same cylinder, it's base engine or may not have been that cylinder at all (sometimes just changing the load on the engine will change a sound, but not be directly related to that injector...though I would consider this more rare). If it were mine, I would disconnect injectors as recommended, and move injectors if I found a cylinder that seemed to be the culprit. This is a free test that just requires some time.

Keep in mind that swapping injectors will require purging the cylinders where the injectors were pulled of oil and fuel (unless you pull the fuel rail end plugs and oil rail drain plugs first, I'd bet most don't). There will also be a long crank to get it running again, and it may not run or sound quite right when it first fires because of all the air in the system. You will need to let it run for a bit before passing judgement on whether the injector swap made a difference or not.

200k is low enough mileage that I would think that "most" of the time it wouldn't be a base engine issue and is more likely an injector issue. Obviously I have no idea how this engine was treated, I'm speaking from a "generally we see" perspective.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
That also sounds a lot like mine did when a rod bearing was trashed. Maybe an oil analysis would help. I didn't need one because mine was catastrophic and you could see the metal in the oil when I drained it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Me and my brother used to work for a guy that had a 7.3 work truck. At an idle it had like a marble sound or gravely and when you gave it any gas it stopped. Idk what it was related to at all but when the trans went out of the truck and he had it fixed it was gone. That sounds just reminded me of it. I figured it was something with the flywheel or some sort

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Diagnosing by sound can be tricky.

Some of the suggestions may be right BUT, Keep it simple before taking stuff off.

Try to isolate where the sound is coming from first.

Does the sound get louder or faster if the RPM's rise? ( or does it get quieter or go away)
Where does it sound like it's coming from (top, bottom, front back)?

Jack up the rear end (get the wheels off the ground & PUT IT ON STANDS SECURELY) start it and put it in gear any change to the sound?

If the sound is in the front- Try removing the serpentine belt (water pump impeller, vacuum pump etc. can generate noises)

Check for ANYTHING loose- I've seen loose/rubbing exhaust make noises you would swear were coming from something internal..

Take it to a local shop and see what they think, they DO see broken stuff all the time.

good luck,
mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
  1. thank you everyone for all the input. I’ll finally get a chance to dig into it this weekend and hopefully narrow it down. Thing is I can’t move this beast until I get a new transmission for it. Want to go with a JD or BTS but this has me nervous to pull the trigger on it. Local Powerstroke guys want the tranny In To diagnose any thing so I may just have to roll the dice on it and hope for the best. ~Backstory~.i bought this truck with a bad tranny out in NC I’m about $7500 into it and still need to get the tranny in along with intake exhaust and all that good stuff. If all goes well it should be about 15k with great trans and handful of upgrades to keep it healthy. I’ll keep updating as things progress thanks again
  2. The sound doesn’t get worse when it’s given gas, it’s not as pronounced when your in front of it but definitely clear as day when your under there so Ide say lower back. I have stethoscope I’m going to poke around with to try and pinpoint exactly where it’s coming from.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
How many miles are on the truck and what mods?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
200k and no mods everything stock except lift, noticed a banks chip on computer but no idea what the settings are.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts