Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an issue with mine, it will dye sometimes when i press the clutch in and sometimes will restart right away, other times it wont restart, i have replaced the cps, and finally replaced the fpr. the truck ran great with the new fpr for two weeks but then again today started acting up. where should i go next thanks yall

·
Limp Member
147 Posts
Fuel filter, when is the last time you changed it? Look for bugs and other yucky stuff floating in the fuel separator while your there.

Get codes pulled if you can.

·
Jaw-Juh Stroker
91 Posts
That is exceptionally odd. The clutch is 100% a mechanical system and shouldn't affect the engine (except bogging it down of course). Does the engine sort of lug down or just switch off instantly? Does it only do this when you depress the clutch when the transmission is in gear? Is this truck a 4x4 with ESOF?

The only thing that makes any sense to me is a loose ignition wire under the dash that might somehow be aggravated by depressing the clutch. I would crank the truck and go under the dash, then start pushing and pulling on wires to see if I could find anything that caused it to turn off. Depressing the clutch by itself should never cause the engine to stall or shut off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is exceptionally odd. The clutch is 100% a mechanical system and shouldn't affect the engine (except bogging it down of course). Does the engine sort of lug down or just switch off instantly? Does it only do this when you depress the clutch when the transmission is in gear? Is this truck a 4x4 with ESOF?

The only thing that makes any sense to me is a loose ignition wire under the dash that might somehow be aggravated by depressing the clutch. I would crank the truck and go under the dash, then start pushing and pulling on wires to see if I could find anything that caused it to turn off. Depressing the clutch by itself should never cause the engine to stall or shut off.
the only reason it dies when the clutch is depressed is because the rpms drop from 2000 to 0 rpm instead of 2000 to idle i doubt it has anything to do with the clutch other than rapid rpm drop, thanks for the help

·
Jaw-Juh Stroker
91 Posts
Oh! I was assuming this was happening at idle.

Hmm.... I don't know that I've ever heard of the TPS doing this, but I would ask around to see if that can cause this behavior. If you keep your foot on the pedal when shifting gears, does the engine continue to run properly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh! I was assuming this was happening at idle.

Hmm.... I don't know that I've ever heard of the TPS doing this, but I would ask around to see if that can cause this behavior. If you keep your foot on the pedal when shifting gears, does the engine continue to run properly?
im sure it would keep running this only happens when i am downshifting to stop or turn not upshifting

·
Jaw-Juh Stroker
91 Posts
Let me get this straight, and tell me if I have anything wrong.

1- The truck cranks up fine and idles fine.
2- The truck drives fine as long as you're maintaining speed or accelerating.
3- The truck only shuts off when there's a big drop in RPMs such as when you release the clutch and come to a complete or near complete stop.

Am I right on all the above?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts