Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 4x4 f250 7.3 powerstroke. I have had it about two months with out a problem. I got a letter from ford about cam postion sensor and speed controller recalls. I had them fix it. Drove it for a few days and went to the the lake about 150 miles. Now it started to run bad going down the interstate I thought the fuel filter was plugged so I stopped at the parts store and changed it in the parking lot. Got to start and thought it was fine after the filter change. But about a mile down the road it started losing power and acting like it might be losing fuel pressure. I made it home after it died a couple of times. I pulled the filter out again at the gas station and the fuel bowl only had about a half inch of fuel in the bowl. Being a mech. I had a bottle of marvel and primed the fuel bowl with and I gave it a shot of either (I know either) but I had three kids in the truck and it is 30 degrees out and I had to ge them home. It fired up and ran rough then leveled out and I drove it a little more about 10 miles and it started losing power again. I made it home and thought maybe a vapor lock, fuel pump? Not sure but I do know that it started right up after I got home and it ran great for about 4 miles and quit again three times in 2 miles. So it is parked at my motorcycle shop. It looks like it has a small pump by the fuel bowl could it be bad? I even thought it might have been fuel so I filled the rear tank at another station and switched tanks but the same result any help would be great. I dont want to just throw parts at it and hope I fixed it. I know the guys a POWER STROKE NATION can solve it!!! Thanks Guys and I await your reply, Bill

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
I'm not sure about the obs '97, but on the sd the fuel pump is on the framerail under the driver. If you open the drain valve on the filter bowl and put the key to run does fuel come out? I think the volume is about 1 quart in 15 seconds. Swamps Diesel has instructions on their website to build a mechanical fuel pressure gauge that attaches to the filter bowl.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
obs is a mech pump in the valley, I think.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Sounds like a dying fuel pump to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS IT WAS THE PUMP IN THE VALLEY OF THE MOTOR. NOW I JUST WANT TO GET SOME MORE POWER OUT OF IT. I NEED TO GET A PROGRAMMER ANY IDEAS? I HAVE AFTERMARKER INJECTORS STRAIGHT EXHUAST. WHAT ELSE SHOULD I LOOK INTO FOR PERFORMACE? WHATS THE BIGGEST BANG FOR THE BUCK?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Give David a call at swamps diesel, they will get you setup with what you need..... Great guys over there....:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts