Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Highland Drover
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...
I will start from the beginning...2006 f350 DRW CC 118000 miles.
purchased the truck 12K back. truck began long crank to start and hooked my genisys up and I had way out of whack deltas so I elected to go in and change the oil cooler. STC, Stand pipes, Dummy plugs, injector O-rings including top ring and replaced all ball and seals in branch tubes. the cooler was partly plugged and I discovered my scanner was giving false info due to not having it updated. no matter new cooler installed (DORMAN) AFTER a thorough flush and change to CAT- ELC. truck ran excellent after this work for maybe 1000 miles deltas are at 7 degrees. experiencing hot no start with a min of 5 hour cooldown before restart and restart is a bit slow but fires and runs perfect, does not shut down but will not start hot. leak tested and can hear a slight leak in both valve covers Passenger side has more sound.. energizing IPR has almost unnoticeable change and I replaced IPR. this made no no difference at all. removed valve cover on Pass side and can hear leaking but cannot isolate for sure from where, seems as if all over under that branch tube.
during previous work I added updated drain tube and supply line and new seals on HPOP as I was there...
KOEO IPC ~.85-.95
IPR never goes much over 50% cranking but pressure stays below 300 hot, cold it goes to just over 500 and fires up smooth.
I did not write down my numbers hot before tearing it down but all was within expected parameters and it runs excellent.
could the leak I am hearing be coming from the HPOP or oil cooler seals?
suggestions?

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
First mistake was using a Dorman oil cooler....ONLY use Motorcraft coolers and filters on a 6.0

·
Highland Drover
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I have gained that knowledge after the fact. the cooler looked fine. my deltas are perfect at no more than 9 degrees. it is possible that seal may be an issue and I will replace with OEM kit if that is the problem. I have no debris on my old IPR but I replaced it with a new one as it made no difference when energized. new one makes no difference as well.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Just saw pics from quicktricks the other day were a customer supplied the parts and had bought all Dorman. They told him it wasn't a good idea and he said that's what he wanted. Not long after he was back in getting it redone because all the gaskets were tore up. Look at quicktricks FB page for the pics.

·
Highland Drover
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen similar pics...of course AFTER I already used the doorman. would that gasket blown cause a leak you can hear in both sides but mostly on passenger side? with the IPR making no difference energized or not?

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Did you replace the stand pipe and dummy plugs with the updated parts from the dealer? The originals are 10mm hex and the updated are 12mm hex. I know it can be difficult to find the leak went air testing, so I'd say just remove the stand pipes and dummy plugs and inspect the O-ring, it's obvious when they are bad. If those are good then look at the injector top seals, you said you replaced them 1000 miles ago, if one of those is bad then look at the O-ring behind the nipple in the oil manifold for that injector. To take that nipple off your gonna need a special tool, you cam by the tool and O-rings on ebay.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Also if you used a green gasket with that Dorman oil cooler you should change while your working on it.

·
Highland Drover
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stand pipes and dummy plugs are all the updated parts. nipple cups and O-rings were replaced at the same time. barring a cut oring during install the only weak point is the dorman gaskets/seals on cooler. I am going to replace to cooler this weekend with a ford part and pull the oil pump cover to confirm no issues there while I am at it.
thanks for the reply...I will post my discoveries this weekend.

·
Highland Drover
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update

Dorman oil cooler is possibly an updated design from the versions with green seal, mine has a red-ish seal and shows no sign of deterioration, OEM replacement cooler and seals going in anyway.
I have a small leak at the IPR drain hole on the HPOP even with the IPR energized. Is that normal? I cant hear it but I can feel it if I plug it with my finger while the IPR is energized.
Also now that I can put a tube in the crankcase next to the HPOP I hear the leak seams to be from stand pipe and branch tube joint on drivers side....I will be pulling the stand pipe tomorrow.
more to come...

·
Highland Drover
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
air testing with hpop cover off shows a very slight leak at the IPR dump hole at rear of hpop almost unnoticeable with IPR energized. But there is a leak near the joint of the stand pipe and Branch tube on drivers side. Stand pipe O-rings look fine and it is a new updated part with less than 1500 miles.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
IPR never goes much over 50% cranking but pressure stays below 300 hot

You have a leak, at shop air pressure (175 PSI or less) you are hearing a slight leak, at 300 psi (when it won't start) it leaks much more.
These leaks in HPO system can be tricky to find, if you hear it, you have a leak that needs to be fixed.
If you can't find the leak change all the O-rings, top seals on the injectors, make sure you have the updated STC fitting and a new O-ring on the branch tube, it better than wasting time going in circles and then you know it's all good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.