Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
First bar the engine over a few times to make sure it spins freely (this is an attempt to verify that nothing dropped into the cylinder). Put a heavy towel over the hole and crank the engine over to blow it out. The cylinder pressures will reduce the tip size and help it to pop out. Just make sure you towels are in place (really).

Cj

·
Administrator
8,177 Posts
Maybe even a chunk of wood over the towel and stand back.

·
Administrator
8,167 Posts
yup, anything that helps keep the plug parts from going through the hood is a good thing.

·
Project Shamu
2,566 Posts
I seen a guy put the vakvecover back on and hand tighten a couple bolts, then cranked over the motor with the starter and it shot through the valve cover like a bullet, stuck itself in the hood!

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
There are literally dozens of threads dealing with broken glow plugs. One of the original Powerstroke gerues came up with a slide hammer trick using a pair of needle nose vice grips, and a long bolt screwed into the adjustment bolt position. He then used a couple of lug nuts off of a semi wheel for the hammer. He would then connect the vice grips onto what was left of the glow plug and then push it into the cylinder, then using the lug nuts sliding on the bolt pull it back out.

Other ways is to use a lot of carb cleaner or PB blaster on the glow plug loosing the carbon while working it with a pair of needle nose vice grips attached to what was left.

One of the best products to help dissolve the carbon that caused the plug to get suck is Quick Silver Power Tune from Mercury Marine. It's whole purpose is to dissolve carbon in the marine environment, any boat dealer should have some on the shelf or you can order it here Quicksilver Power Tune

But none of the above do any good if the tip is swelled up in the cylinder which is usually caused by a non Motorcraft ZD11 glow plug in which case you will need to pull the head.

·
Administrator
8,167 Posts
i have never done it on a powerstroke, but on the IDI i would hook a variable speed drill to the tip of the plug and turn it while lifting and pushing back down and spray with PB Blaster to cut the crud off the tip.
the key to prevent removing the head is patience. lots and lots of patience. when it does not cooperate and starts to piss you off, walk away from it for a while.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
People always get into a hurry once they start something. Even after waiting a couple of years knowing that there is a problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 96 7.3 and I was removing the last glow plug on the driver side and it was really hard to turn and it just turns and turns so I grabbed my needle nose and only half of the middle came. What do I do?
I have a 96 7.3 and I was removing the last glow plug on the driver side and it was really hard to turn and it just turns and turns so I grabbed my needle nose and only half of the middle came. What do I do?
I'd be pulling the head before something comes off and gets stuck under a valve and then you have valves to replace maybe a Cracked head a hole in a Piston the list is long and expensive

·
ate lug
172 Posts
If that pic is all youve removed, then the threaded body is still installed in the head, so there's hope yet. But youll have to get that piece to come out. Start soaking it, and try to get it to unthread! If it spins but it wont come out, then the tip is probably swollen and youre almost certainly screwed. I feel your pain, i just pulled the head off mine yesterday!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts