Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching through old threads.. but I have a few questions.

I have a 1999 ext cab, long bed.

1.) On the rear drive shaft, which front shaft do I need? Or what is the length to the carrier bearing?

2.) Is the transmission cross member different between the 2wd and 4wd?

3.) Being a 2wd with coil springs, would it be easier to find a 05-07 d60 with the coil spring setup?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Dirk i dont know much about doing this but i would say that i feel that with you having coils in the front i would think that putting a 05-07 SD front Dana 60 under your truck would make it easier but thats just me talking

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Dirk i dont know much about doing this but i would say that i feel that with you having coils in the front i would think that putting a 05-07 SD front Dana 60 under your truck would make it easier but thats just me talking
Ive looked long and hard at swapping to the 05-07 axle just for simplicity. I havent actually compared side by side the difference, but im 99% sure the buckets for the coils are the same as well as the mounts for the radius arms.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Hey Dirk, I have a CCSB 4x4, ECSB 4x4, CCSB 2wd, and a ECLB 2wd DRW at the house, let me know what measurments you need. I'll be around them in about an hour. I assume CCSB will be exactly the same as an ECLB as far as the drive train?

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive looked long and hard at swapping to the 05-07 axle just for simplicity. I havent actually compared side by side the difference, but im 99% sure the buckets for the coils are the same as well as the mounts for the radius arms.
That's what I've been seeing...

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Dirk, I have a CCSB 4x4, ECSB 4x4, CCSB 2wd, and a ECLB 2wd DRW at the house, let me know what measurments you need. I'll be around them in about an hour. I assume CCSB will be exactly the same as an ECLB as far as the drive train?
The yoke at the end of the transfer case to the carrier bearing and the same on the 2wd (except from the transmission).

The front shaft on the rear will need to be shorter due to the transfer case.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
4x4 swap on a 99-04 SD is easier then you would think. All the holes are already on the frame for 2wd or 4x4. If you can find a doner truck like I did it's all bolt up.

Start by gutting the TTB out-

Grind off the coil spring bracket. (4 bolts)
Pull off 2wd pitman arm & get a 4x4 pitman arm. If you ignore doing this you will loose half of your turn radious because the 2wd arm will hit your track bar bracket. Bolt up all the 4x4 leaf spring brackets, track bar bracket, & shock mounts. For the tranny you will have to either have your 2wd tranny gutted & the tail shaft/section swapped or just get a whole 4x4 tranny & transfer case.

For driveshafts, the legnth of the front won't matter if you have a reg cab or a crew cab, the transfer case & axle are in the same place. On the rear shaft, if I was you, I would start looking around for an ext cab long bed 4x4 drive shaft. They are very common & shouldn't be hard to find.

Between myself, Trailerhauler, KBROOKS, SirStrokeAlot, & Wriott we had it completed in a week with no air tools & a frozen garage. Biggest problem I had was getting the man power together & trying not to freeze.

Before as a 2wd, no blocks in rear-

Now as a 4x4, stock springs in front & rear with no block. Sit's 1/2" higher in the rear then the front.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4x4 swap on a 99-04 SD is easier then you would think. All the holes are already on the frame for 2wd or 4x4. If you can find a doner truck like I did it's all bolt up.

Start by gutting the TTB out-

Grind off the coil spring bracket. (4 bolts)
Pull off 2wd pitman arm & get a 4x4 pitman arm. If you ignore doing this you will loose half of your turn radious because the 2wd arm will hit your track bar bracket. Bolt up all the 4x4 leaf spring brackets, track bar bracket, & shock mounts. For the tranny you will have to either have your 2wd tranny gutted & the tail shaft/section swapped or just get a whole 4x4 tranny & transfer case.

For driveshafts, the legnth of the front won't matter if you have a reg cab or a crew cab, the transfer case & axle are in the same place. On the rear shaft, if I was you, I would start looking around for an ext cab long bed 4x4 drive shaft. They are very common & shouldn't be hard to find.

Between myself, Trailerhauler, KBROOKS, SirStrokeAlot, & Wriott we had it completed in a week with no air tools & a frozen garage. Biggest problem I had was getting the man power together & trying not to freeze.
Right. I found a lot of those pics and info..

Trans isn't an issue. And I think I have a 99-04 setup lined up, but still I'm just wondering if the 05-07 coil over would be easier\better.

I've been looking for a ext cab\long bed drive shaft, but haven't found one reasonable.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I'm just wondering if the 05-07 coil over would be easierbetter.
I was going to put an 08 super Dana 60 on the front but I got a better deal on the 00 setup. From what I understand, the rear of the control arm will hook up but you will need to drill some holes in the front. On top of that the 05 axles are about 2" wider then a 99-04. My other problem with the 05+ is that you are stuck with a 18"+ wheel. I have nothing against 18"+ wheels, but didn't feel like buying new wheels at the same time.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Helped a bud on a swap like this awhile back its simple like Cat says its all bolt on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts