Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am putting my 1999 F350 7.3L back together, I ordered the 6.0L intercooler and I want to run a lighter fan, I saw everyone with the old 7.3L running the 6.0L fan, but will it fit the 1999 an up?

Secondly, the 7.3L has a 9-Blade fan 10lbs, how many blades does the 6.0L fan have?

Lastly, anyone ever tried running any other lighter fans like those off an F150 or V10 F350? I see them using 11-Blade fans and I don't know if they have a cfm rating than that of the 9-Blade.

I tried going to my local fords parts store and these guys looked at me like I was talking greek, they couldn't even understand that I just wanted to cool my engine more efficiently even if I will lose a little of power. I don't plan on towing much.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I finally saw a site listing an 11-blade fan for a 1999 F-250, will that flow more air than the 9-Blade.

Sorry for the many questions but I start reassembling the truck tomorrow and I don't have all the parts.

Finally, has anyone ever used the Aluminum blades? They say they are lighter and don't break unlike the plastic ones and have a better heat resistance.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Ok, so I finally saw a site listing an 11-blade fan for a 1999 F-250, will that flow more air than the 9-Blade.

Sorry for the many questions but I start reassembling the truck tomorrow and I don't have all the parts.

Finally, has anyone ever used the Aluminum blades? They say they are lighter and don't break unlike the plastic ones and have a better heat resistance.
The aftermarket aluminum/steel ones have the same CFM problems as the fiberglass ones.

Is the listing for a 6.0 fan?

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
what is the "CFM problem"
The aftermarket fans do not pull as much air (cubic feet per minute) across the radiator as the plain old stock 7.3 fan. This makes it difficult for those who want to eliminate the stocker to find a suitable replacement, either fiberglass, aluminum, steel or electric.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
How much "lighter" are we talking here? I mean, if you are only looking at a pound difference, then what's the issue or the point?

The 6.0 fan is light by itself (i.e. No clutch), but as far as I know, the only clutches it'll bolt up to are the stock 6.0 one, and the 97 style clutch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I eventually ended up going with an aluminum blade, it's a HUGE weight saving, I am yet to drive the truck outside my neighborhood, but I pray that it works great.

So far, I can let it idle for hours, rev it up and the temp stays low............

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I eventually ended up going with an aluminum blade, it's a HUGE weight saving, I am yet to drive the truck outside my neighborhood, but I pray that it works great.

So far, I can let it idle for hours, rev it up and the temp stays low............
HELP PLEASE!!! I am stuck in Kentucky, I have a very heavy load and my truck is overheating after a few miles, the fan clutch has a lot of resistance when I spin it, I don't know if it is too much or if the fan is NOT pulling enough air.

I used a 6-Blade aluminum fan that saved me TONS of weight but under heavy load, the temperature goes up.

Could it be the fan clutch is bad or the aluminum fan is NOT sufficient?

I have seen videos showing the fan engaged, the sound is LOUD, I have NEVER heard that sound before, also, the aluminum fan has a smaller radius than the factory fan.

What do you guys think?

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
HELP PLEASE!!! I am stuck in Kentucky, I have a very heavy load and my truck is overheating after a few miles, the fan clutch has a lot of resistance when I spin it, I don't know if it is too much or if the fan is NOT pulling enough air.

I used a 6-Blade aluminum fan that saved me TONS of weight but under heavy load, the temperature goes up.

Could it be the fan clutch is bad or the aluminum fan is NOT sufficient?

I have seen videos showing the fan engaged, the sound is LOUD, I have NEVER heard that sound before, also, the aluminum fan has a smaller radius than the factory fan.

What do you guys think?
Man i just finished a water pump on a 7.3l and that fan is tiny theres no way it could move enough air to cool a 7.3l that fan look like it was made for a small gas motor.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man i just finished a water pump on a 7.3l and that fan is tiny theres no way it could move enough air to cool a 7.3l that fan look like it was made for a small gas motor.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk
I wish I saw this message a long time ago, I almost blew my engine towing 8,000lbs, had to rent a storage unit and store most of my load to make it back, also my Fan clutch wasn't working but a new one barely did the work.

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
Why are you opposed to the oem fan.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weight, the OEM fan is very heavy, I think 11 or 12 pounds, a lighter fan means less power loss, easier on the Water Pump...........

Same reason race cars use electric fans and water pumps, every pulley robs the engine of power.

I can't remember accurately but just switching to an electric water pump usually adds about 30hp, used to intern in a performance shop..........but I was new to working on cars, so I didn't learn enough...............later picked up from many peoplr including here.

Anyway, that is why I am obsessed with cooling, I just recently got an oil cooler from a Tahoe and swapped it for my Hydroboost cooler, last thing that is left is to add a heavy duty Oil cooler via a sandwich plate to add to the water cooler the truck already uses.

If you look at the cooling system of a Semi- truck, you'll understand why they ran 3,000,000 miles and your civic can barely get to 500,000.

Took out the crankcase venting and hosed it out, that kills your turbo by adding hot gases and oil in the intake............it is why I struggled to get a 7.3l, the egr system is designed to kill engines like those restricted breathing masks you work out with for endurance except our bodies can recover, engines can't.

Notice 6.0L powerstrokes are notorious for blowing engines, EGR cooling.

Now unfortunately also, diesels need heat to create power so you will lose a little power but gain durability, I can sacrifice a few pounds of towing to a few extra yeard of life.

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
Weight, the OEM fan is very heavy, I think 11 or 12 pounds, a lighter fan means less power loss, easier on the Water Pump...........

Same reason race cars use electric fans and water pumps, every pulley robs the engine of power.

I can't remember accurately but just switching to an electric water pump usually adds about 30hp, used to intern in a performance shop..........but I was new to working on cars, so I didn't learn enough...............later picked up from many peoplr including here.

Anyway, that is why I am obsessed with cooling, I just recently got an oil cooler from a Tahoe and swapped it for my Hydroboost cooler, last thing that is left is to add a heavy duty Oil cooler via a sandwich plate to add to the water cooler the truck already uses.

If you look at the cooling system of a Semi- truck, you'll understand why they ran 3,000,000 miles and your civic can barely get to 500,000.

Took out the crankcase venting and hosed it out, that kills your turbo by adding hot gases and oil in the intake............it is why I struggled to get a 7.3l, the egr system is designed to kill engines like those restricted breathing masks you work out with for endurance except our bodies can recover, engines can't.

Notice 6.0L powerstrokes are notorious for blowing engines, EGR cooling.

Now unfortunately also, diesels need heat to create power so you will lose a little power but gain durability, I can sacrifice a few pounds of towing to a few extra yeard of life.
Well I have 349,000 miles on my truck with the stock fan. The problem with a diesel is they produce alot of heat and u have to be able move that heat out of the coolant. A race car does not produce the amount of heat that the diesel does. They also rebuild race engines all the time. I would go back with the stock style fan I saw this posted last month may help you.

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/18-1994-1997-obs-power-stroke-aftermarket-performance/528297-6-0-fan-alternative-fits.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have 349,000 miles on my truck with the stock fan. The problem with a diesel is they produce alot of heat and u have to be able move that heat out of the coolant. A race car does not produce the amount of heat that the diesel does. They also rebuild race engines all the time. I would go back with the stock style fan I saw this posted last month may help you.

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/18-1994-1997-obs-power-stroke-aftermarket-performance/528297-6-0-fan-alternative-fits.html
Thanks, I am going to, I could not find a good alternative

1 - 16 of 16 Posts