Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm learning
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 6.0 that just dies and will start right back up. I just bought the AE and have tested icp pressure, voltage. The ficm voltage is low like 45 ideling but falls below 40 under acceleration. I have read all kinds of posts about ficm and haven't found anything about just shutting down like that. Has anyone had this happen because of a ficm or am I barking up the wrong tree?

·
Registered
368 Posts
no codes stored after it dies? datalog ficm v along with icp desired and actual,ipr
% when it dies again.go over the data and see what happened.ficm voltage usually drops the most on cold starts.

·
I'm learning
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no codes stored after it dies? datalog ficm v along with icp desired and actual,ipr
% when it dies again.go over the data and see what happened.ficm voltage usually drops the most on cold starts.
thanks skippy, i just got my ae and got lucky i was datalogging and caught it cutting off 2 times.
ficm logic power, 12.50
icp psi, 0 from 584.65 running
icp reg % 14.84 from 24.22 running
ficm main power 46.50
icp pressure desired 0 from 676.4 running
ficm power 12.50
icp volts, 0.01 ( reading right before that 0.02) reading before that .88

the ficm volts readings fell to 40 a couple times during the run but was 46.50 both times it cut off

i accidentally started this thread twice and dont know how to fix it so im putting this on both, and thanks for the help.

It looks like the icp volts is falling first, so that should just be the sensor right?

·
Registered
368 Posts
the 12.5v is what would concern me.check battery voltage with key off then while running.one dead battery will cause the other to under perform.the only true test is to load test the batteries individually,disconnected from the truck.also if the alt isnt charging properly theres enough reserve power to run for a while,but eventually that runs out.low input voltage affects ficm output voltage as well.

·
I'm learning
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I swapped in 2 new batts out of my truck and it picked up the ficm power to 13.5v but the ficm main power is still below 40. It was pretty cold here this morning when I tested it,If I let it idle it will creep up to 45.5v but as soon as I give it throttle it falls back to below 40. I checked all the plugs all is good and the wires look good, is it safe to say its bad? And what do you have to have to program a ficm? The diesel guy at the ford place says its def a bad ficm and he will have to program a new or used one, is that correct?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Agree your FICM has low voltage. Check all connections and the ground to it. Your ICP voltage is strange to say the least. Your reading of .88 is good but your .01 is bad. Strange thing is your oil pressure is good at 584 if that is idling. You may have a bad ICP connection. That would give these strange readings and also make the vehicle die. Is your ICP on the valve cover or under the turbo?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I swapped in a used one, same year.no re- programming.i think the.01 was after it died? That's what I gathered.the question is, is the icp loss is an effect, or a cause.

·
I'm learning
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sensor is on the valve cover, and the .01 reading is right as it was shutting off. The ford mec told me to watch the rpms too while data logging to see if rpms drop before the icp sensor loses voltage, but he said either way he would start with a ficm because it is def bad by those readings. He also said the icp sensor may be bad too, I checked the conection and looked for oil in the sensor and its clean. I am new at this and have a lot to learn, so I told my buddy to take it to the ford place because they will have to program the new ficm anyway or so I was told, but I guess thats not always true. I hated to send him there but I dont want to have him buy stuff he dont need either. I am curious as to what ford is gonna do to it, I will let you know what they find, and thanks for all the advice guys, this is a great site!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts