Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm learning
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 6.0 that just dies and will start right back up. I just bought the AE and have tested icp pressure, voltage. The ficm voltage is low like 45 ideling but falls below 40 under acceleration. I have read all kinds of posts about ficm and haven't found anything about just shutting down like that. Has anyone had this happen because of a ficm or am I barking up the wrong tree?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Test the ficm direct with a multi-meter when its cold. Have someone start it while you are watching the voltage.
When the truck shuts off, does it shut off right after you just started it, or when you're going down the road?

·
I'm learning
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly while ideling but has died going down the road. I plan to test with a volt meter tomorrow. Its my friends truck and I hate to tell him to but a 450$ ficm if he dont need it. Im not a expert by any means on 6.0s but every thing I can test looks good, except the ficm.

·
I'm learning
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what I should ask is if the ficm will cause it to just die like that but start right back up? Most everything I have read and seen on bad ficm's is no start, skipping, poor performance, but this truck runs great when it stays running.
PHP:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine did this a couple of times, while idling or low speeds (dropping the kids of at schools) It was blowing a p285 code, so I replaced the sensor and pigtail. Problem solved.

·
I'm learning
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted by skippy
no codes stored after it dies? datalog ficm v along with icp desired and actual,ipr
% when it dies again.go over the data and see what happened.ficm voltage usually drops the most on cold starts.

thanks skippy, i just got my ae and got lucky i was datalogging and caught it cutting off 2 times.
ficm logic power, 12.50
icp psi, 0 from 584.65 running
icp reg % 14.84 from 24.22 running
ficm main power 46.50
icp pressure desired 0 from 676.4 running
ficm power 12.50
icp volts, 0.01 ( reading right before that 0.02) reading before that .88

the ficm volts readings fell to 40 a couple times during the run but was 46.50 both times it cut off

It looks like the icp volts is falling first, so that should just be the sensor right?

i accidentally started this thread twice and dont know how to fix it so im putting this on both, and thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts