Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

hellmans sump questions

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dalpilot 
#1 ·
alright i gotta few questions either way i bought one and im going to instal it im tired of 1/4 tank issues and i figure its better with the weight of the fuel pushing down on the lines then having to suck it up and out. but few the guys where im from keep sayin there illegal and all this other stuff i was wonderin if this is true i cant seem to find much about it. i mean either way its going on legal or not ill fab a skid plate to hide it if its a problem just wanting some info if you guys dont mind im from kentucky and i thought more or less cali was all up on the laws andall that thanks

#2 ·
I think the issue was that NHRA has a rule that you can't have a fuel sump with the fitting on the bottom.
The fitting on the Hellman sump is on the side, not the bottom.

I have run one for a couple years already, and no one has said anything about it...and have NEVER had any more fuel delivery problems.

#4 ·
i guess sump's could be ruled illegal because there not dot rated. i have never heard of anyone having an issue.i have a buddy that was pulled over by a state trooper and got a tint,no muffler and cat ticket and the officer said nothing about the tsd sump on it.IMO if he wants to get you he's gonna get you for somthing.as far as drag racing rules etc. i have no idea.

#5 ·
I have had mine for awhile with no issues.......

#6 ·
Chances are DOT won't mess with you on a sump unless you're in an accident and spill a bunch of diesel. Otherwise, you'd have to run across a LEO having a real bad day who knew something about these things to spot anything "out of place".

#7 ·
Maybe my thin blue line and Marine Corps sticker helps..... :cool:

#10 ·
what part of Ky you from bigblue?

#12 ·
Damn son, your only about 2.5 hours west of me, i live right outside of Ashland. FWIW i have a TSD sump i plan on installing with an airdogg 2 one day. Ive never heard of it being illegal.

#14 ·
i got the email cant wait to get it iv already got the airdog 150 on it right now and been tired of the 1/4 tank issues and i like how a bunch people put it its better to have it on the bottom then to have to pull the diesel up and out of the tank and then go from there. have the weight of the fuel pushing on it. you go to any car shows? i go to the ones i no about should meet up sometime

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.