Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I've got an e99 F350 that I recently put gauges in, and am noticing my trans temps creeping up while doing my in-town driving (which is 90% of how I use the truck), as well as my A/C wanting to fluctuate temp-wise when the truck is just driving around. I'm seeing trans temps at 190-200 in stop and go traffic, and have seen 210 before changing the fan clutch today.

Changed the Clutch, as it was a bit loose/weak. I rarely ever heard it kick on, but have noticed the new one doing it more often, so I'm sure its helping, but it didnt fix the problem. I actually noticed that the A/C kicked completely off today while I was idling at the shop.

I'm actually quite confused. The trans fluid was red when I got the truck, and I'm about to head out and check it again. I really don't need to be without my truck, as I work out of it.

Plans are:

-Blow out the stock dinky cooler, and see what comes out.
-Check and make sure fluid isnt changing colors on me.
-start saving for a 6.0 cooler, Sonnax, filter, and a bucket of mercon
-Put gauges on my A/C and see what my pressures look like.

Any other suggestions you guys would give me to get me by for now? I've seen the graphs aout engine life at temps, and understand the damage that these temps can cause. What would you guys do, in the essence of keeping the truck on the road as much as possible?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
I'm seeing trans temps at 190-200 in stop and go traffic, and have seen 210 before changing the fan clutch today....
.....but it didnt fix the problem.
I'm sorry, but I don't see a problem. What are you trying to fix? Your temperatures are completely normal.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
As far as the a/c check your clutch and reshim as needed. Trans temp, figure about 100 deg over what it is outside, give or take.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't see a problem. What are you trying to fix? Your temperatures are completely normal.
What are the normal temps Mark?? I may be the cause of all of his confusion. I could have sworn that 180-190 were where it should be unless you're pulling... What is the maximum acceptable temp?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
Maximum sustained temperature is 220°F. Maximum short term, for no more than 1/2 hour, is 250°F. Running 200°F in stop and go driving is normal.

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help... Just hate that I freaked out as I did. The fan got a new clutch, so It couldnt have hurt. I do notice the new one kicking on more often than before.

Mark, I wish I had known you, or posted a thread before I did. It probably would have saved me some heartache and fundage. That fan clutch was an expensive booger! I'll probably keep my original one, just in case.

irontx25, are you talking about the A/C Compressor clutch, or the fan? Could you elaborate a bit for me?

-Michael

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
Fan clutches do wear out. It's likely that your 11 year old clutch was worn out and needed to be replaced.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
A/C clutch. Its like any other clutch.....it wears. Mine would blow hot on full a/c. bought a new clutch and when i pulled the old one off i noticed it had shim washers on the hole the bolt goes through. I pulled 1 washer out ,slapped it back together.....cold a/c like it use to be.

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ironx, that sounds like just the ticket! Will have to check into that ASAP

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, figured out why my trans temps were climbing so quickly...

Here's a picture of why:

The PO had cut the hoses to the stocker (the bigger one, for those that havent seen an e99 trans cooler), and installed a cute little aftermarket unit of unknown origin. I have no idea as to how long it was in there, or how many 5th wheel camper pulls theyd used it for.

Installed a 26 row 6.0 cooler, and a sonnax/tri mod, and she shifts FIRM with trans temps topping 160* in stop and go traffic unloaded.

I wish I had done it sooner :poke:

Thanks guys, just figured I'd let you guys know what the deal was...

-Michael

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've been curious if there is a "Too Low" sustained temp for the transmission. I know the converter is set to not lock until a certain temp, so there is that concern. I've had my trans gone through a few times and after one rebuild I couldn't get the temp above 150* pulling passes or pulling trailers. After another rebuild I am into these temps that Mark says are normal. I was figured the cooler the better, but is that really the case, can you get too cool?

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats a good question... Maybe someone would chime in that has already, and shed some light on the subject.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
Yes, you can get too cold. It's good for the trans to get up to about 150°F. It operates more efficiently so you get better fuel economy, plus if it stays too cold moisture accumulates in the trans. Water in a transmission is bad news.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes, you can get too cold. It's good for the trans to get up to about 150°F. It operates more efficiently so you get better fuel economy, plus if it stays too cold moisture accumulates in the trans. Water in a transmission is bad news.
Good info, thanks Mark. What kind of damage can the water accumulation do? I assume it would not mix with the fluid and possibly block passages or accumulate in certain places and cause corrosion? Are there common failures due to water in the transmission?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
Water can cause corrosion. If there is enough water it can delaminate the friction material from it's steel backing. Then the trans needs rebuilding. Water can also flash to steam if the trans gets over 212°F. Steam greatly expands it's volume from water. This can force enough fluid out of the trans vent and dipstick to start a fire and burn a Taurus to the ground.

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gosh... talk about scaring a fella. So is there reason for concern with me running the temps I do? I usually hover between 140-160 unloaded now. Would it be a bad idea to block the grille a bit this winter?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to block part of the grill in the winter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts