Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of Kool Vue heated towing mirrors on my e99 F250 to replace the original paddle style I had. I had power mirrors, but not heated. The install was fairly easy, the mirrors came with an adapter to fit my round plug, then I just soldered wires from the black wires that go to the mirror heat and soldered them to the hot and ground wires going to the power windows. The new mirrors draw about 1 amp so they have not been a problem hooked up this way. It saved me from running wires from the door into the cab. I have had them like this for a couple of weeks with no problem.

Then I started seeing where others had put their heated mirrors on switches and thought that was a good idea. But since I can't leave well enough alone, I had to do mine different than I had seen others.

I found some small "snap disc" thermostats and installed them into the mirrors so they only come on when its cold outside. They come on at 35deg. and off at 55deg.
I won't make this post any longer, unless someone wants more details.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nicely done. I might just have to do this.

·
Reloading
429 Posts
I tied mine into the power windos too but I tapped into the yellow w/green trace that comes of of the window lock switch. that way if there's a need to have the ignition on I can turn the heated mirrors off to reduce the draw and not have to install a switch plus I didn't have to run the passanger side wire to the drivers side to the switch.

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using the window lock switch is a good idea. I didn't think of that. I found the thermostats online for about $10+shipping. They actually are made for defrost switches for refrigerators.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts