Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I had my headlights split and harleyiszed then put back together a few weeks ago and I just recently noticed that on the top part it appears that the clear is starting to peel. I tried meguiar's plast-x cleaner but it didn't work (also it did make my headlights look really clean). Is there anything I can do other than try the reconditioning kit?

I'm afraid to do the reconditioning thing because I have a friend that did it and said his headlights yellow much quicker now.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Its the lense that is starting to peel? Thats weird. What heat did you bake them at?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
used a heat gun. Another member posted and told me that he reconditions headlights and it is just the plastic and not the clear and that I just need to sand and buff them and it'll be good to go.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Oh ok, yeah I was gonna say Ive never had that problem, but I always use an oven

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For all I know the problem was there before the headlights got harleyized and I just didn't notice. not really sure

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
There is no clear coat on the lens, it is just a clear plastic, so I don't understand what could be peeling off.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea it seemed weird but who knows. It almost looks like a chemical got on them or something and ate some of the lense

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
regular automotive paint. I had the same paint as is on my truck because the painter did a grille for me at the same time.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Was it a catalyzed paint though or lacquer? If lacquer, the solvents in it could be the cause.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
My wifes 05 f150 headlights are doing it as well.I didn't notice it till after I baked them and painted the inside then it was clear as day.I have though about sanding them and smoothing them out but its not my truck and its only visible at night with the headlights on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts