Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
learnin' the HARD WAY!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pulled the injectors, I found carbon all over the bottom of #7 and #8 like this:

After I slurped the oil/fuel out of #8, this is what I found - whats left of copper gasket in hole, I never found #7, but think it fell off in the dark when injector came out...

So, the bolts were tight - something else is up. I stick another set of injectors in andpay more attention to how the hold-down hits the stud - like this (this is #3):

Oh yeah, I threw a straight edge over these (4) injectors (1,3,5&7) and they were dead even...

This long block was making 550+HP in the truck it came out of with BIG injectors, turbo, etc... - so those injectors didn't have this problem. I haven't been able to talk to him yet though.

Is this interference normal for studs? Are these WRONG? What should I do?

I'm doing this at camp, after work 600 miles from home and driving a rental while its down. I don't wanna put it back together but ONCE!! Thanks in advance for your help!

Anyone near St Louis wanna come gimme a hand? ;)

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
What kind of studs are they? If they are not the same injectors that were in that long block making 550 hp, the one injector that was originally in that cylinder may have had the back of the hold down clamp ground down. However, f you just recently installed the studs and they are ARP's, there are 8 shorter studs that go above each injector hole to provide clearance for the hold down. I posted some pics of the two different length studs in this post:
ARP Head Stud Photo to compare lengths. - Powerstroke Nation

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
I have H-11 studs and I had the same issue with clearance. After talking to Zane at Wide Open Performance and Dave at Swamps Diesel they both recommended to grind down the injector hold down a bit to give enough clearance to clear the stud. I had the same issue as the injector did not seat all the way down in the injector cup and as the motor ran the compression from the cylinder pushed the injector up and the combustion was entering the injector cup. I needed to re-o-ring the injector install a new copper crush washer, clean the carbon from the injector cup and reinstall the injector and all is good. I used this brush set http://www.apexinds.com/tools/M50136.html prior to installation to clean the carbon from the injector cup . The brushes do a great job cleaning the carbon from the injector cup.

·
learnin' the HARD WAY!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of studs are they? If they are not the same injectors that were in that long block making 550 hp, the one injector that was originally in that cylinder may have had the back of the hold down clamp ground down. However, f you just recently installed the studs and they are ARP's, there are 8 shorter studs that go above each injector hole to provide clearance for the hold down. I posted some pics of the two different length studs in this post:
ARP Head Stud Photo to compare lengths. - Powerstroke Nation
They are ARP's I believe... I just looked and it looks like some of the ones that don't need to be short, are. :doh: I'll give the builder a swift kick in the nutz when I see him again! :D

·
learnin' the HARD WAY!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After talking to Zane at Wide Open Performance and Dave at Swamps Diesel they both recommended to grind down the injector hold down a bit to give enough clearance to clear the stud.

I used this brush set http://www.apexinds.com/tools/M50136.html prior to installation to clean the carbon from the injector cup . The brushes do a great job cleaning the carbon from the injector cup.
Thanks for the replies! There was only a light dusting of carbon in the cups, I got'em clean with rags and pokers and a little brake clean.

I suspect the PO did some grinding on the hold-downs and that seems like the easist thing for me to do here! If I can find a grinder... Since I used liberal amounts of oil sticking these in a couple hours ago :doh:, what are the chances I'll hurt the o-rings pulling them out again to grind'em (only 2). :confused:

·
Registered
361 Posts
The orings will be fine...just look them over before you stick the inj back in.

·
got fuel?
2,581 Posts
We had to grind 5 out of 8 inj. to fit my arps in. Many moons ago.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
On H-11's you need to make sure you bottom out all of the studs over injectors. Torque the studs down to 10 to 15 lbs to make wure you don't pull a stud while torquing down the nut. I had one that gave me fits. Guessing at 10 to 15 lb's with an allen wrench and a open end wrench for a cheater is a real pain.

·
learnin' the HARD WAY!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few minutes at the bench grinder and :evil they FIT! Easy enough.

My helper today. No thumbs, but unmatched moral support!! Thanx Daisy.

I picked up a baby bottle brush to clean the holes one more time. I didn't really notice it was pink until the checkout girl says 'How old is your little girl?' I couldn't help but smirk and say 'almost 10'. LOL

Should finish buttoning it up tomorow AM. Got the HPOP rez topped off a few times tonite already, maybe most of the air will be out by the time I'm ready to spin it over...

Thanks again y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
learnin' the HARD WAY!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Purrrrrrrrrr's like a kitten. Fixin' to finish putting it together and go pop wheelies & burn some rubber man! :tree:

Thanks again for the help y'all. :bowfast:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Purrrrrrrrrr's like a kitten. Fixin' to finish putting it together and go pop wheelies & burn some rubber man!

Awesome.....

Gonna burn some grease too???

·
learnin' the HARD WAY!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome.....

Gonna burn some grease too???
Don't you know that stuff will ruin yer engine man!! ;)

As soon as it runs right on dino, its back to the high-cholesterol diet... :eek:

The boys and I are going out to Utah in another week - I need it right by then. I'm estimating a 6k mile camping and rockcrawling trip (taking the 'yota). Wish I could buy your trailer, I'd like to bring back Ivan's wrecked PSD from Idaho and my trailer ain't big enough for both trucks... :doh:

Oh yeah, ran great going down the road too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
SwellMel is Invisible
87 Posts
My helper today. No thumbs, but unmatched moral support!! Thanx Daisy.
Purrrrrrrrrr's like a kitten. Fixin' to finish putting it together and go pop wheelies & burn some rubber man! :tree:

Thanks again for the help y'all. :bowfast:
Jason, I don't get over here often, just saw this. I know we talked the other night but I'm glad you and Daisy got it fixed, let me know next time, if you need help. I'm still planing on a trip to the pulls in Mexico Saturday night, bring Daisy and come on out, I got a couple of beers with your name on them.

Swell Mel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts