Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to start getting parts together to put my engine back together, I dont have alot of money to spend. Right now it will be going back together all stock, maybe in the future I will add stage 1 injectors and a 38r, my question is do I need to spend the money and install headstuds or should I just reuse the head bolts.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
STUDS!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I hade stage twos and an h2e hade it tuned to hit 42 lbs of boost for two years with ''NO'' studs . NEVER Hade one problem .

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Do NOT reuse factory head bolts. The are made to be torqued only once.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,346 Posts
do the studs now while the motor is out..its a pain to do it after the motor goes in...you will kick your self in the nads if you wait.....

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
do the studs now while the motor is out..its a pain to do it after the motor goes in...you will kick your self in the nads if you wait.....
:whs: Your ribs will thank you.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
I hade stage twos and an h2e hade it tuned to hit 42 lbs of boost for two years with ''NO'' studs . NEVER Hade one problem .
Yeah but while its out why wouldn't you just put them in???

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
If money is critical you caaann get by with new bolts,
But as stated the old ones are stretched or will be when you torque them again.
But far better to stud it if you can swing it at all. They should be arps to be had for 450 or so.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The bolts, being Torque To Yield if I recall correctly, are not only one time use (reusing them will give you serious headaches) but kind of inconsistent. Can some hold high boost no issues? Yes. Will others have insufficient clamping for relatively low boost numbers? Yes.
Is it worth risking it to save a few bones now, but maybe cost yourself more later?

Your call.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would do studs, thats what I plan to do when I do my engine.

Like they said it's easier to do it while the motors out.

But..... It's your CALL good luck.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
If money is critical you caaann get by with new bolts,
But as stated the old ones are stretched or will be when you torque them again.
But far better to stud it if you can swing it at all. They should be arps to be had for 450 or so.
What's the price difference between new bolts and studs.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
Store Locator | NAPA Online

If I am reading this right then there dayum expensive. Probably close to the cost of studs. I think that the cost on that page is each bolt?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts