Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of HID headlights. simple setup, a live wire with an inline fuse to the battery, a ground at each headlight, and a plug from the HID harness to tap into the stock headlight harness (only one).

I should preface this by saying i just replaced both batteries, brand new.

every time i switch from running lights to headlights, the rpms drop WAY below 500, sometimes it will recover, with the headlights on, sometimes it will kill the truck.

today on the highway, thinking the problem was fixed with the new batteries, (with the rpms high) i switched the lights on, didn't really notice a drop in rpms, but the SES and WTS lights went on for a couple seconds.

anyone else run into this?

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
I see your running a dp tuner. From what Ive read you have to get a shielded cable from them to run hids as the hids cause the turner's signal to mess up.

Contact dp tuner for a fix.

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jesus and crackers... how do you people know of this stuff?

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
FWIW any problem that i had/have with my truck i search out on here first.

Im not on any other psn site.

but let us know how it works out.

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Wonderful....

Another item to add to the list before resurrection......:mad:

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
trial and error i would guess for most parts then people just post what they have found out on here.

I beg to differ...

I've yet to see a "dealing with the wife" forum LOL

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts

·
Getting Faster...
150 Posts
Yep -- did you directly ground the ballasts to the truck body? I had mine floating, and grounding the cases fixed it, for the most part. Still got an occasional wiggle in the stock gauges, and ABS light. No more stalls though. And I had the shielded cable (when I had my DP).

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I beg to differ...

I've yet to see a "dealing with the wife" forum LOL
All covered in Smack Talk.

Also, back to your original problem, while I agree that they are more than likely right. When my truck was completly stock, I had an issue that when I turned the headlights on, my truck would almost die. It was the alternator. These trucks demand good, clean and ample power.

But like I said, Crows is right on the money.

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll have to give jody a call monday.

it's funny, the ballasts aren't grounded, but the harness has a grounding pigtail close to each plug for the ballasts. (i changed the alternator about 3000 miles ago). I'm surprised something as simple as the HID's could cause interference in the tuning. I would have switched out everything else before accounting for that.

·
Sofa King Cool
2,827 Posts
I had the same problem when I ran a dp chip, I had the cable from the f5 routed right by the headlight switch on the dash and when I turned on the HID's it would cause the f5 switch to default to zero which was my nostart program and would kill the truck.

I'm running the old style TS flip chip now with no problems but if you have the cable snaked close to there try moving it away from the switch to see if that helps at al

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
That blows my mind something that simple could cause problems like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i didnt have the same problem with the rpms changing but when i first istalled my HIDs they killed my batteries within 10 min of bein on. charged them and wont hold a charge. put new ones in and i havent had a problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
my uncle had the same problem and he put inline filter in like they use for radio noise and that fixed his problem,picked them up at radio shack for like 3 or 4 dollars apiece

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my uncle had the same problem and he put inline filter in like they use for radio noise and that fixed his problem,picked them up at radio shack for like 3 or 4 dollars apiece
where in line? in the power from the battery to the harness?

·
Registered
131 Posts
put the RFI choke on the positive coming out of the ballast going to the bulb. if u have fog lights do the same to them. u will need 4 chokes to do headlights and foglights

1 - 20 of 20 Posts