Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't think of a better title, so bear with me.
The old '01 is starting to show it's age. The headlight covers are starting to oxidize, if you will. I'd like to restore them to the their original glory.
I picked up a kit by Meguiar. It's a two step package. First, you scuff up the lens with 1000 grit, then follow with 3000. Once it gets as clear as it's going to, you apply a sealer to the surface.
Has anyone tried this? Is it any good?

I always thought the lens on one as old as mine were glass, but I was told no, they're plastic. Is this true?;)

·
hillbilly
79 Posts
When I worked at a salvage yard, we would "recondition" lights. Most of them would end up being insurance quality. After the sanding buff them with a 3M hand glaze.

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I worked at a salvage yard, we would "recondition" lights. Most of them would end up being insurance quality. After the sanding buff them with a 3M hand glaze.
Thanks man. That glaze, is there a certain grit it comes in? Or is there only one? Any else I should know? I sorta hate to screw it up and wind up buying new buckets.;)

·
hillbilly
79 Posts
Just ask for 3M hand glaze at parts store. Another tip, when sanding, use lots of running water . We did ours over shop sink. Sand until it feels like it is not working anymore, then switch to next higher grit. Its a very easy process, hard to screw it up. Just a little time consuming. PM me if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You want this.....its about 20 bucks. Comes with the drill attachment, sanding disks, buffing pad, and compound. Just did it to my girls jeep last weekend, worked perfect. Autozone, Advanced auto, and walmart stock them.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
You want this.....its about 20 bucks. Comes with the drill attachment, sanding disks, buffing pad, and compound. Just did it to my girls jeep last weekend, worked perfect. Autozone, Advanced auto, and walmart stock them.

That's what I got, havent tried it yet though.

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ask for 3M hand glaze at parts store. Another tip, when sanding, use lots of running water . We did ours over shop sink. Sand until it feels like it is not working anymore, then switch to next higher grit. Its a very easy process, hard to screw it up. Just a little time consuming. PM me if you have any more questions.
I like that, "hard to screw it up". I'll give it a shot this week, thanks.;)

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I got my kit at Advance Auto, but I didn't see that one. Mine was $30, with $5 knocked off, it was on sale. From what I gathered by the counter guy, you need to seal the surface with a UV inhibiter once you get it cleared up. The kit I got had it in there.
We'll find out.;)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Post up some before and after pictures of the headlights. I'm intrested in doing this as well..

·
Registered
666 Posts
You can just use some 3M 800 wetsand it then go over it with 1500 wet, dry it and use some buffing compound with a buffer and they will be good as new. you can clearcoat them to keep them that way.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
I did this in January....used the turtlewax brand...$10..worked awesome...mine were yellow!

The meguiars one I got did NOT work for me. I did it last summer and gave up. When I got the turtlewax one I also bought sandpaper just in case I had to wetsand and then polish/seal. No need to, the turtlewax kit comes with spray lube for sanding, three diff sanding pads, polishing pad and polish, then a uv resistant inhibitor. I also switched to Sylvania silver 5600k headlights after I polished the lenses. WOW!! What an upgrade. Nice bright white light. Before that I had two yellow dots on the road.

Good luck!

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post up some before and after pictures of the headlights. I'm intrested in doing this as well..
Sure will.;)

I should have known to ask here before I went out and spent the bucks, oh well.LOL

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ill post some after pics...I dont have before ones...But it worked AWESOME!

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did this in January....used the turtlewax brand...$10..worked awesome...mine were yellow!

I also switched to Sylvania silver 5600k headlights after I polished the lenses. WOW!! What an upgrade. Nice bright white light. Before that I had two yellow dots on the road.

Good luck!
I just did a search for those 5600k lights. It doesn't look like they're available any longer. Do you think the 6000k took their place?;)

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Could be johnday...I just bought the middlegrade...they had some 3500 or something like that...

Got em last fall. Ill look for the package and see if thats exactly what I bought.

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could be johnday...I just bought the middlegrade...they had some 3500 or something like that...

Got em last fall. Ill look for the package and see if thats exactly what I bought.
Okie doke.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts