Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading SAK's PTM headlight thread I thought I would give it a try. The headlights were a pain to get open, but not as bad as I had anticipated. Removing the glue was probably the easiest part for me, I pulled it all off in huge strips while it was still hot. Needless to say today my finger tips are a little tender, what can I say I have soft hands:D Anyway enough of my:blah: Heres the pics, what do you think?

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Those look good, I would have tried to "smoke" the yellow reflector, just to make them look better then the Harley lights ya know.. One suggestion, after the new glue dries, I highly suggest applying a good bead of silicone around the permiter, otherwise they will probably fog up on you.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those look good, I would have tried to "smoke" the yellow reflector, just to make them look better then the Harley lights ya know.. One suggestion, after the new glue dries, I highly suggest applying a good bead of silicone around the permiter, otherwise they will probably fog up on you.
Yep, and yep:D I really debated on smoking the reflectors, I have the night shades and it would have taken about 2mins to do them, but I decided not to for some reason. Woke up this morining and thought why didn't I tint those?LOL
Yes, I already put a bead around the outer lip:D

I'll try to get an on-truck pick later today.

Layson, I'll pass. I'd hate to mess something up on your truck:eek::D

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Damn dude! That looks great! If I had the ballz to do that to my lights, I would definately be done with the orange....

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Looks good :D

I did some recently for one of my other vehicles and I agree that it's a little bit of a PITA, but looks very nice when completed.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Well after reading SAK's PTM headlight thread I thought I would give it a try. The headlights were a pain to get open, but not as bad as I had anticipated. Removing the glue was probably the easiest part for me, I pulled it all off in huge strips while it was still hot. Needless to say today my finger tips are a little tender, what can I say I have soft hands:D Anyway enough of my:blah: Heres the pics, what do you think?

What temperature and how long did you cook them for?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went 225, and around 10min at a time. Took several heatings and prying. I used a narrow flat screwdriver and got under the clear lense piece in the bottom of the black housing groove, if that makes sense.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's some on the truck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
did u use any kind of special paint for the heat of the lights or just reg. spray paint??

·
Registered
131 Posts
how long did it take to cook them before they came apart,i want to do this bad but dont have alll day to sit around and cook headlights in the oven

·
Registered
157 Posts
2 minutes in, take them out and work them, 2 min in, take them out and work them, etc. until them pop off. You have to take your time and make sure to not F up that edge or it will be a likely spot for moisture to get in and fog'em up. TAKE YOUR TIME OR BUY NEW ONES.......

·
Registered
144 Posts
will this work the same with lights off an 01
Yes, it's the same process, just a different style light. I've seen ppl do this with all types of automotive headlights. I've actually seen some ppl take them apart and have the back side of the clear lens sprayed with a fine coat of black paint to "smoke" them out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts