Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck pukes coolant with studs no egr valve and a blocker plate. It runs good and there are no drips or leaks underneath it. Is it possible that my gaskets are blown?

·
Oil anyone?
416 Posts
Yep, did you have the heads re-decked when you did the stud install?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well hell... so where to go from here? Anyone knows what it costs to machine them?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do i need to do for the oil cooler? If theres more than a 15* difference then its the oil cooler?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I agree with Brentos, I'd check the oil cooler before I made the leap straight to headgaskets.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
Depending on how warped the heads are, it could be a little more pricey. Mine were warped enough that after milling they had to do a valve job and recess them into the head to keep them from hitting the pistons. That pushed the price up a few hundred IIRC.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil and coolant temps are perfect... so heads then. Anything special i should go with for gaskets? Is there any chance my heads dont need machining?

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
Is there any chance my heads dont need machining?
No...just because if they were flat and sealing good, just putting the studs in should have kept them from blowing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you put your headstuds in 1 at a time instead of pulling the heads, one of the headgaskets could have lost it's seal. The only way to know is to pull and check the heads.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya... because it doesnt really run any different and its had 5 or 6k on the clock since this started. Pulling racing and daily driving so that gives me some hope haha

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Well if you have to pull the heads to do the gaskets, then definitely get the heads machined either way. Dont go over .010". That's the absolute MAX from what I understand. If you have to machine them so far that the valves have to be sunk farther into the head, I'd trash em and get new heads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts