Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so my trucks eating coolant. No leaks no drips no smoke. So now I'm stuck on what to do.

So should I

A. Destroke to a 12 valve $5000ish
B. stud it and hope they hold $700ish
C. studs, 190's, SCT and run it $2500ish

I do my own labor and I'm a stickler for everything being perfect.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
:D C :D

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
A is gonna cost you way more then $5000ish
B is gonna cost you more then $700ish
C is also gonna coast you way more the $2500ish

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A. Was told by BEANS that a basic 12 valve install will be 5K and if you figure selling all parts that aren't needed I still think I could do it for that.

B. I can get studs for $400 surely I can get gaskets for under $300 I know theres still some other smaller O-rings and gaskets but I can get the complete top end kit for $60

C. Once again sell my spare programmers I have for 6L buy a used SCT, RCD 190's for 1750ish It'd be tight but I think doable

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
You will need a fuel system to run 190s...Or they wont last long and rcd wont replace injectors that have been starved of fuel!!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
you don't need a full fuel system you can add a Walbro pump to the stock pump and be fine my truck ran for 3years with 190's and 1year with 200's that way. Cost me about $140 and made 587/1200

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
we checked it several times, never dropped after we removed the upper fuel bowl and put remote filters on it with the Walbro.......don't get wrong by no means is it a end all to fuel systems but plenty for 190's.

·
Registered
554 Posts
we checked it several times, never dropped after we removed the upper fuel bowl and put remote filters on it with the Walbro.......don't get wrong by no means is it a end all to fuel systems but plenty for 190's.
see that is the part you almost left out..LOL
i agree if you do some sort of upgrades on top the motor..something like or similar to the ITP kit a stock pump will normally keep up to quite a bit of fuel

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
What are you guys doing to delee the fuel bowl? im waiting on my regulated air dog II to showup and i want to delete my bowl...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
see that is the part you almost left out..LOL
i agree if you do some sort of upgrades on top the motor..something like or similar to the ITP kit a stock pump will normally keep up to quite a bit of fuel
I included that in my price, we just removed the top stock filter and put to filters on the frame from NAPA think they were around $50 or so and the Walbro was under a $100 I think, but it wasn't over a $100. I was giving a ruff estimate,and that was 3-4 years ago.

·
Registered
667 Posts
you better inspect the heads. they are prone to cracking and is gonna blow your budget. A rebuilt head is a grand at the dealership. like 700 on ebay but you get what you pay for

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My plan right now is to pull the motor get the heads off and check for cracks. If one is cracked I'll probably throw in a cummins. If the heads are fine I'm gonna stud it and throw some 155's or 190's in.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had fun with mine with 190s and a stock turbo, but your probably looking at a bit more for any of the options thast you listed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts