Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished another rack, made a little different for a member on here. Maybe afterpaint he will take some pics on the truck. What do you think.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
looks good, but I really think you should think about making the legs longer...

·
Banned
780 Posts
what do you charge for something like that?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Price depends on what you want. I've only made three. One like in pic, he wants custom paint to match his truck and only one set of red led lights(he is adding some other lights in other two holes) and offroad light tabs. I priced this one two cheap. I think western hauler gets about $900.00

with two red led's for brake and turn and two white led's for reverse, with paint. $575.00 plus shipping.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Nice work Coope! Thats exactly how'd I'd want mine to look. I really like the style of this one. If my truck wasn't a short bed I think I would of ordered one of these a while ago from you.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Good work.

BTW, if you click on the pick, it will show full size. Hit Control while clicking, and it will open in a new tab.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I want to buy one from you eventually. I haul a lot of long pieces lumber, pipes, rebar etc... I am tired of destroying my cab at my dads benefit.

1. Do these clamp on? Bolt in or what?

2. What material do you make these out of?

3. How much weight can you put on them?

thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The risers and top are made of 3/16 flat steel. The tubing up the side and on the bottom is 2x2. The cross tubing in the middle is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. They bolt on with the two side pieces which are 2" wide 1/4 thick steel and I also put a piece of the same steel on the bottom to shoot some self tapping screw to the front of the bed if you want. I can build it anyway you want. This one weighs about 80lbs. I can also use angle iron to go down the side of the bed and the top to make it more rigid.

If your going to haul long pieces and place them on top of the rack, it would probably need to be built a little different on the sides. Probably with tubing up the sides and extending over the top of the rack a little to keep things from sliding off and would need to make the runners on the bed a lot longer to stand the weight applied to the top of the rack.

·
Registered
336 Posts
your durn right there will be some pics posted, possibly some videos of the stobes/LEDS once everything is installed,:redspotdance:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The risers and top are made of 3/16 flat steel. The tubing up the side and on the bottom is 2x2. The cross tubing in the middle is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. They bolt on with the two side pieces which are 2" wide 1/4 thick steel and I also put a piece of the same steel on the bottom to shoot some self tapping screw to the front of the bed if you want. I can build it anyway you want. This one weighs about 80lbs. I can also use angle iron to go down the side of the bed and the top to make it more rigid.

If your going to haul long pieces and place them on top of the rack, it would probably need to be built a little different on the sides. Probably with tubing up the sides and extending over the top of the rack a little to keep things from sliding off and would need to make the runners on the bed a lot longer to stand the weight applied to the top of the rack.
Hi coupe

1.can you draw a picture of how the rack would look that could support more weight?

2. how much weight could the one you just built support?

3. I think I want to have it screw in on the sides of the bed rails so I don't put to many screws in my bed.

^^^Would that hold good enough?

thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one I just built will support a lot of weight on the rack itself, but mounting it just on the inside of the bed would be the weak area for putting a lot of weight on top of the rack. To apply a lot of weight to the top, I would put some runners down the side of the bed like to one I just built and a runner on top of the bed rail for support, Or another option would be to make the base of the rack wider, instead of 6" at the bottom we could make it 8". As far as drawing a picture. What would you want the rack to look like. Do you want is to look like the ones I have already built or something else. Another idea is if you are going to put lumber or pipe on top I could put some holes in the top made to put a piece of pipe in when your are hauling stuff and take them out when you are not.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Nice work, I am looking to add to my ranch hand Headache rack/bed rails it's kinda plain.I want to add some lights.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The one I just built will support a lot of weight on the rack itself, but mounting it just on the inside of the bed would be the weak area for putting a lot of weight on top of the rack. To apply a lot of weight to the top, I would put some runners down the side of the bed like to one I just built and a runner on top of the bed rail for support, Or another option would be to make the base of the rack wider, instead of 6" at the bottom we could make it 8". As far as drawing a picture. What would you want the rack to look like. Do you want is to look like the ones I have already built or something else. Another idea is if you are going to put lumber or pipe on top I could put some holes in the top made to put a piece of pipe in when your are hauling stuff and take them out when you are not.
I like the look of the one you just built. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2654480820081511544LuMFPlSo if you can build that one, that can support the weight of rebar, 2x4 x 22 or 2x6 x 22 that would be great.

Thats a good idea about the piece of pipe on top that I could remove when wanted

The only thing I would want to add is another set of lights so I can put some LED strobe lights next to the other lights. Such as the NVL13 http://www.awdirect.com/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=22288&secid=68&linkon=subsection&linkid=269

thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So would you want 3 oval lights on each side on an angle or two angled and one horizontal and would you want it color matched to your truck or powdercoated. Powdercoating would hold up better to laying things on top.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I was thinking about two angled on each side and one horizontal light on each side.

Its a hard decision though. What do you think looks better?

What would be the cost with powdercoated white?

thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking about two angled on each side and one horizontal light on each side.

Its a hard decision though. What do you think looks better?

What would be the cost with powdercoated white?

thanks,
Andrew
I pm'd you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts